Porting the MEGA65 to the Next

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
danboid
Dizzy

Porting the MEGA65 to the Next

Post by danboid »

Has anyone looked into the possibility of porting the MEGA65 core to Spectrum Next FPGAs?

Maybe only the KS2+ will be able to handle it?
danboid
Dizzy

Re: Porting the MEGA65 to the Next

Post by danboid »

I have emailed Paul, the developer of the MEGA65, so he can tell us what's what with the possibility of MEGA65 <-> ZXN.
SamC
Microbot

Post by SamC »

danboid wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:20 pm Maybe only the KS2+ will be able to handle it?
The Mk2 has the small Artix xc7a15.
The Mega65 is on the opposite site of the table:
https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon ... oductTable
danboid
Dizzy

Post by danboid »

That does make a M65 Next unlikely but I'm interested to know if there's a working Next core for the M65.
danboid
Dizzy

Post by danboid »

Paul Gardner-Stephen replied:
I haven't checked what FPGA the Next uses now, but I believe its a 7-series Xilinx, and so should be capable to run the MEGA65 core, if someone ports it.

There are enhanced Spectrum cores on files.mega65.org, but I don't know of a port of the full Next core. But it might already do what you want?
danboid
Dizzy

Post by danboid »

I naively presumed that Paul would know which FPGAs the Next models used but it seems he wasn't sure about that so I have wrote back to him asking if he thinks the Spartan 6 (KS1/XBP) could handle the M65 too? I've not got my hopes up but he might suggest a way it could be made to work? It doesn't sound like there is a Next core for the M65 yet.