The latest ZXDB update will be applied this evening at 1800 BST. The update takes around 30 minutes, and the site goes down whilst this happens.

How do I convert Sinclair BASIC into Boriel BASIC?

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Cheez26
Microbot

How do I convert Sinclair BASIC into Boriel BASIC?

Post by Cheez26 »

So, I got myself a book not too long time ago (probably 6 months or so) and it contains some type-ins and what-not.

It even has a Breakout clone in it.

So, the question is this post's title, now what? Is there like some chart-like details or a cheat sheet for Boriel BASIC? Also, is there a dedicated IDE? If not, what text editor do you recommend for a beginner like me?
Chelsea E., a Speccy fan from the U.S.
Also a musician and a beginning games developer.
+3code
Manic Miner

Re: How do I convert Sinclair BASIC into Boriel BASIC?

Post by +3code »

Boriel is more like Qbasic, it's not very difficult to port from the Spectrum BASIC, but you need to understand a bit how each work. I'm not aware of an official IDE, but you can use a standard text editor (programmers oriented) like Programmers Notepad and similar.

PS: maybe you can test first the native compilers, I use one of the Hisoft ones.
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

+3code wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:51 am Boriel is more like Qbasic, it's not very difficult to port from the Spectrum BASIC, but you need to understand a bit how each work. I'm not aware of an official IDE, but you can use a standard text editor (programmers oriented) like Programmers Notepad and similar.
I read somewhere that it also take cues from FreeBASIC; however, I'm less worried about what it's like and more worried about syntax highlighting and graphic previews because of my little ape brain can only see so much in ASCII or even binary.

Also, I'm probably gonna use Geany, but I probably want a dark theme for that as well.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Cheez26 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:28 pm I read somewhere that it also take cues from FreeBASIC;
Well, FreeBASIC is too based in QBASIC (like QB64) so at the end is the same. Structured BASIC vs. Unstructured BASIC. I'm not user of Boriel, although I see it as very interesting and have tested it a bit, but others will give you better advice.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

See differences between Boriel and Sinclair Basic in this article

https://specnext.dev/es/2022/07/30/de-s ... -zx-basic/
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

The translation of Boriel's book will be ready soon

There is a Telegram group about Boriel
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

hikoki wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:39 pm The translation of Boriel's book will be ready soon
Alright. Thanks for letting me know.