Unusual code format made by MPAGDMusicizer

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
SamC
Microbot

Unusual code format made by MPAGDMusicizer

Post by SamC »

Are there any known reasons why some MPAGD games use obscure files-ordering and code-initiations?

Very often there are two CODE files, each is executed immediately after uploading (e.g. 24200, the second at 24800, run from 24803).
Unfortunately, it is not just a depack for the sake of saving loading space and time, because next to the loading-screen-image in the first file other routines are started.

The system is such that, for example, inserting the PAUSE command into the BASIC loader, between the unpacking of the first CODE file and the loading of the second, causes a crash. If there is music running with the image, it seems to initialize twice and after that the game sometimes crashes on startup.

I don't assume that the intention is to protect against piracy :-) I just do not know the history and development of the MPAGD system. I find it unusual and unnecessarily complicated - and not easily usable with some modified systems (BSROM) and disk systems (interfaces with custom ROMs paged from address 0).
Cheez26
Microbot

Re: Unusual code format made by MPAGDMusicizer

Post by Cheez26 »

I feel many of the components besides the Musicizer are what keeps MPAGD from having a native Linux port that I really would love.

With all due respect to Mr Caudwell, but I'm probably gonna switch to a Godot-based solution being developed by @pgregory because it's especially hard to use the native Speccy tools. Not to mention...why are we still using Windows for anything dev-related?! :lol:
Chelsea E., a Speccy fan from the U.S.
Also a musician and a beginning games developer.
🏳️‍⚧️ p r i d e 🏳️‍🌈