Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
Luzie
Manic Miner

Re: Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Post by Luzie »

MiCv2 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:37 am Hello,
my DivIDE supports Kempston Joystick and games work very well.
I can't navigate the browser with the joystick, is that correct?

Regards,
MiC

@MiCv2 Which sort of Joystick do you use? Kempston? Take a look here: viewtopic.php?p=87890#p87890 and take a look at .brwscfg
Dodgypenguin
Drutt

Post by Dodgypenguin »

Have you turned on joystick navigation in the browser configuration menu?
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Nice speed increase :)

If I use version 0.23 and load a TAP file containing a BASIC program, the BORDER and PAPER are 0 rather than 7, and INK is 7 also rather than 0. Judging from the release notes for version 0.22 this appears to be a regression.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

patters wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:09 pm Nice speed increase :)

If I use version 0.23 and load a TAP file containing a BASIC program, the BORDER and PAPER are 0 rather than 7, and INK is 7 also rather than 0. Judging from the release notes for version 0.22 this appears to be a regression.
The actual .tap loading is done by esxDOS not the browser. Are you on esxDOS 0.8.9? If so, it sounds like it might be this, http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?id=1032

You can download a patched file from http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?id=1032
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Yep that's sorted it. Thanks!
MiCv2
Drutt

Post by MiCv2 »

Dodgypenguin wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:25 am Have you turned on joystick navigation in the browser configuration menu?
Hi,

It worked, first had to find out how to start the cfg file on spectrum :roll:

Thanks and regards,
MiC
Dodgypenguin
Drutt

Post by Dodgypenguin »

MiCv2 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:04 pm Hi,

It worked, first had to find out how to start the cfg file on spectrum :roll:

Thanks and regards,
MiC
....I have the same brain freeze every time I update this!
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Hi @bob_fossil ,

I am testing version 0.23 on my ZX-Uno and I have noticed that it does not work to attach a file with CS+I or CS+O. The red led on the ZX-Uno lights up, but the bottom line indicating that it has done so does not appear. I also don't get any evidence that the opposite action works with SS+I and SS+O, the red led lights up, but nothing else. With the .tapein and .tapeout commands I have been able to do it.

As always, I am very grateful for your magnificent work.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:10 pm Hi @bob_fossil ,

I am testing version 0.23 on my ZX-Uno and I have noticed that it does not work to attach a file with CS+I or CS+O. The red led on the ZX-Uno lights up, but the bottom line indicating that it has done so does not appear. I also don't get any evidence that the opposite action works with SS+I and SS+O, the red led lights up, but nothing else. With the .tapein and .tapeout commands I have been able to do it.

As always, I am very grateful for your magnificent work.
Knew I'd break something with all that shuffling around. :)

Is the BROWSE.BIN in http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-con ... SE_BIN.zip any better?
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

Dodgypenguin wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:21 pm ....I have the same brain freeze every time I update this!
You can update by simply copying the files over your old installation, this way the config will not be deleted.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:32 pm Knew I'd break something with all that shuffling around. :)

Is the BROWSE.BIN in http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-con ... SE_BIN.zip any better?
Yes, it works fine now.

Thanks.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:06 pm Yes, it works fine now.

Thanks.
Thanks for testing and confirming. I'll update the latest version .zip file in a couple of days with this fix just in case any other bugs are found.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:37 pm Thanks for testing and confirming. I'll update the latest version .zip file in a couple of days with this fix just in case any other bugs are found.
Last August 6 I left you this message in the ZX-Uno Telegram group:

I have noticed that the PT3 plugin does not correctly play tracks in Turbo Sound, such as those that can be found in the Summer of '22 distribution in the /SPECCY/MUSICA/TS-PT3 folder. I have tested it with versions 0.22 and 0.23a5.

The problem is still occurring in version 0.23.

With the esxDOS-compatible WildPlayer program, you can listen to them perfectly
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:03 pm Last August 6 I left you this message in the ZX-Uno Telegram group:

I have noticed that the PT3 plugin does not correctly play tracks in Turbo Sound, such as those that can be found in the Summer of '22 distribution in the /SPECCY/MUSICA/TS-PT3 folder. I have tested it with versions 0.22 and 0.23a5.

The problem is still occurring in version 0.23.

With the esxDOS-compatible WildPlayer program, you can listen to them perfectly
You'll get a much faster response if you post bug reports here. I've not been on Telegram for several months now. Re-download:

http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-con ... SE_BIN.zip

which has an updated PT3 plugin which should fix the issue.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:18 pm You'll get a much faster response if you post bug reports here. I've not been on Telegram for several months now. Re-download:

http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-con ... SE_BIN.zip

which has an updated PT3 plugin which should fix the issue.
Hi Bob,

Now the .PT3 plugin works perfectly. Thanks.

In the ZX-Uno Telegram group we miss you, so come back whenever you want.

Now a couple of features that I wish you could implement in future versions:

1. That once the virtual tape head position is positioned inside a .TAP file with the tape browser, it would not be necessary to exit to BASIC and execute LOAD"", but pressing ENTER over the file would start the loading from that position. Now the loading starts from the beginning of tape. If you want that to remain the standard operation, maybe you could do the loading from virtual tape head position using the Caps Shift + ENTER combination.

2.- A new option to create an empty file. It could be used to save, for example, the progress in games like ELITE or Interactive Fiction programs.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Just to let you all know that I've updated the latest v0.23 release with the fixes for attaching tapes and TurboSound playback in the PT3 plugin. If you downloaded v0.23 before this post, then you may want to download it again to get the fixes.

Any other bugs and feature requests will now roll over into the next version.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Hi @bob_fossil ,

Antonio Villena has created a new esxDOS command, mc (multicore), which is used to boot cores from the SD card.

It works as follows: .mc corefile.zx1 (Loads and executes a core)

What it does is to install the core in slot 9 if a 4MB SPI Flash is used - up to 9 cores - or in slot 45 if a 16 MB SPI Flash is used - up to 45 cores -, and once loaded it executes it. Spectrum core needs to be booted in "rooted" mode for to work.

According to the specifications of the SPI flash memory, it can be written without problems up to 100,000 times, so there is no great risk of damaging it.

Binary: https://github.com/zxdos/zxuno/blob/master/SD/BIN/MC
Source: https://github.com/zxdos/zxuno/blob/master/utils/mc.asm

It would be great if you could implement the execution of this command in your browser in case you detect a ZX-Uno and ENTER is pressed on a file with .ZX1 extension.

Thanks.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:05 pm
It would be great if you could implement the execution of this command in your browser in case you detect a ZX-Uno and ENTER is pressed on a file with .ZX1 extension.

Thanks.
I'll add it to the list for the next version. Might be easier if Antonio had a look at the plugin SDK or source for one of the other plugins and modified the code himself as that source needs a lot of changes to get it working with the assembler I use in z88dk..
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

bob_fossil wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:42 pm as that source needs a lot of changes to get it working with the assembler I use in z88dk..
The converse statement is also true, that it is not so easy to modify and assemble the plugin code for the SJAsm assembler :)
Swimming, we know..
It is necessary to port at least two main files "plugin.asm" and "esxdos.asm" and the main plugin file itself. Is the sheepskin worth the candle?)
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:42 pm I'll add it to the list for the next version. Might be easier if Antonio had a look at the plugin SDK or source for one of the other plugins and modified the code himself as that source needs a lot of changes to get it working with the assembler I use in z88dk..
Since 9:22 this morning we already have the plugin. I haven't tried it yet but they have shared a video in the Telegram group and they said it works well

https://github.com/zxdos/zxuno/blob/mas ... LUGINS/ZX1
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

azesmbog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:16 pm The converse statement is also true, that it is not so easy to modify and assemble the plugin code for the SJAsm assembler :)
Swimming, we know..
It is necessary to port at least two main files "plugin.asm" and "esxdos.asm" and the main plugin file itself. Is the sheepskin worth the candle?)
This started as a C project using z88dk so it's assembler was used for convenience when using assembler from C. Maybe when I go 100% assembly, I'll look at switching over to a more popular assembler. Currently the z88dk assembler meets my needs.

I'd argue that having to change z88dk DEFC statements and label syntax is less hassle than having to decode non-standard opcodes and expand macros. Horses for courses I suppose.

If the lack of SJASM friendly source in the SDK is stopping people from developing their own plugins then I'll happily add compatible sources.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

bob_fossil wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:41 pm I'll look at switching over to a more popular assembler.
Just don't switch to ZASM or WLAZ80 :))
From their macros and pseudo-commands, my head generally melts when translating source codes into simple SJAsm )
And also in the browser. As far as I remember, he refused to load a file with this name
"Z80 Test Program (2005-01-16)(Woigk, Gu¦Inter)[!].tap"
I think it stumbles at the beginning of the name Z80?
I did not come up with such a file name, but the author of the test, if anything)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

azesmbog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:51 pm And also in the browser. As far as I remember, he refused to load a file with this name
"Z80 Test Program (2005-01-16)(Woigk, Gu¦Inter)[!].tap"
I think it stumbles at the beginning of the name Z80?
I did not come up with such a file name, but the author of the test, if anything)
Can you provide me with a link to the .tap file? Thanks.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

bob_fossil wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:47 am Can you provide me with a link to the .tap file? Thanks.
link
The file is archived.
in emulators, it loads with such a "wrong" name, but did not want to in the browser, I had to rename it. This, of course, is not very important, but it is interesting what exactly the parser "stumbles" on.
By the way, this test works on zx-uno, but rather poorly)) Lots of mistakes in it. But that's another story :)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

azesmbog wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:18 am link
The file is archived.
in emulators, it loads with such a "wrong" name, but did not want to in the browser, I had to rename it. This, of course, is not very important, but it is interesting what exactly the parser "stumbles" on.
By the way, this test works on zx-uno, but rather poorly)) Lots of mistakes in it. But that's another story :)
Thanks for the file. Tried it in Fuse, my +2 and ZX-UNO and the browser started the .tap file. The file is not displayed correctly (the filename overspills and displays garbage characters on my +2 and UNO) but you can select it and the test starts. Can you do Shift + R on the file to display properties? If so, what is the 8.3 filename? This is the filename that is used by the browser when launching files. I get:

Code: Select all

File Information:

8.3 Filename:			Z80TES~1.TAP
File Size (bytes):		6583
Date:				16/01/2005

Program: "testloader" Line: 10
Data Block: 86 bytes
Bytes: "testcode" Address: 32768
Data Block: 6447 bytes