Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
desUBIKado
Microbot

Re: Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Post by desUBIKado »

Test of the new ZX1 plugin for Bob Fossil's browser. It loads an Oric Atmos core in 9 seconds.

azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

I'm sorry but it's loading fine now.
Perhaps I tried to load on another computer, about three weeks ago. Perhaps there is not the latest version of the browser. But I can only double-check this in two days, sorry again.

Well, won't it make it difficult for you to check this test on a real +2? Because even in emulators there are discrepancies, and there are discrepancies with the result of the author. And there are very few living ZX Spectrum left, and I would like to get a fresh result from the real world.
You just need to wait for the end of the test and write the result to the tap file. Thanks in advance)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

azesmbog wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:23 pm I'm sorry but it's loading fine now.
Perhaps I tried to load on another computer, about three weeks ago. Perhaps there is not the latest version of the browser. But I can only double-check this in two days, sorry again.
No problem. At least I've fixed the issue where the filename wasn't being displayed correctly (the umlaut Unicode wasn't being handled).
azesmbog wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:23 pm Well, won't it make it difficult for you to check this test on a real +2? Because even in emulators there are discrepancies, and there are discrepancies with the result of the author. And there are very few living ZX Spectrum left, and I would like to get a fresh result from the real world.
You just need to wait for the end of the test and write the result to the tap file. Thanks in advance)
It's running now as I'd left it on when I was testing my fix for the filename drawing. I'll try and get the data back to you.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

bob_fossil wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:30 pm I'll try and get the data back to you.
It would be great!!
If there is a problem writing a tap file, you can always save a snapshot, and then pull the result out of it.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

azesmbog wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:23 pm Image
Hi. You are on an older version. Actual/last version is: v0.23 Final : viewtopic.php?p=100845#p100845
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Luzie wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:04 pm Hi. You are on an older version. Actual/last version is: v0.23 Final : viewtopic.php?p=100845#p100845
in this case it doesn't matter. This version loaded the file correctly.
I also tried to run this file on MiSTer with a browser. Perhaps there is a very old version, but now I can not check it.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

To finally close the issue
This browser is running on MiSTer.
Apparently, the file with the full name did not open, and I wrote it into the image a little shorter. It still didn't start. That's why I decided that it was because of the specific name Z80. That's why I raised this question.
But apparently this is due to the too old version of the browser v0.17a2, because in the newer version everything is loaded and launched.
There is also a possibility that this particular file was "crookedly" written into the image. On this, I think, we can finish the investigation)
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

azesmbog wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:16 pm There is also a possibility that this particular file was "crookedly" written into the image. On this, I think, we can finish the investigation)
Just these questions: Are you on Windows? How do you unzip the original file https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... er.tap.zip? And how do you transfer the file onto your SD-Card? Do you use HDFMonkey.exe to put in into an Image or do you copy it to SD-Card with a Cardreader?
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Luzie wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm Just these questions: Are you on Windows? How do you unzip the original file ? And how do you transfer the file onto your SD-Card? Do you use HDFMonkey.exe to put in into an Image or do you copy it to SD-Card with a Cardreader?
1.Windows
2. MiSTer(as well as ZX Uno) uses .VHD container, not .HDF
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

azesmbog wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:15 pm 1.Windows
2. MiSTer(as well as ZX Uno) uses .VHD container, not .HDF
OK. Thank you. I asked because I can´t put this unzipped "malformed" Filename:

Code: Select all

Z80 Test Program (2005-01-16)(Woigk, Günter)[!].tap
to be transfered into a HDF-Imagefile with HDFmonkey.exe (under Windows).
On my tries I just get error:"Could not open file for reading: No such file or directory" from HDFmonkey.exe
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Luzie wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:01 pm OK. Thank you. I asked because I can´t get this unzipped "malformed" Filename:

Code: Select all

Z80 Test Program (2005-01-16)(Woigk, Günter)[!].tap
to be transfered into a HDF-Imagefile with HDFmonkey.exe (under Windows).
On my tries I just get error:"Could not open file for reading: No such file or directory" from HDFmonkey.exe
There are spaces, a U with umlaut, brackets and an exclamation mark in the file name. Did you try eliminating them? E.g. Z80TestProgram(2005-01-16)(WoigkGunter).tap
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:11 pm There are spaces, a U with umlaut, brackets and an exclamation mark in the file name. Did you try eliminating them? E.g. Z80TestProgram(2005-01-16)(WoigkGunter).tap
Dear @Alessandro I don´t think the spaces are the problem. It should be the Umlaut "ü" (which is Unicode 0252 according to: https://resources.german.lsa.umich.edu/ ... n/unicode/). Strange and new to me was the way Windows handles the renaming of this name in Windows Explorer: If I set the Cursor before the "ü" and press Delete than the whole "ü" is deleted from the name. When I set the Cursor behind the "ü" and press Backspace than the "ü" is renamed to "u" and only after I press Backspace again this "u" is finally deleted.

All in all no problem. If I delete the "ü" from the original filename, HDFmonkey etc. can work with this filename.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

The tape browser (_TPE plugin) can now be started with Caps Shift + T regardless of whether you have a .tap file attached (the plugin displays 'No tape file to browse!'. Pressing Shift + N inside the tape browser window lets you create a 0 byte empty .tap file which you can then attach to output via the browser for saving to. You can also auto start loading from the tape at the selection position with Caps Shift + Enter.

Also fixed an issue with certain Unicode characters causing the filename to be displayed incorrectly (thanks to @azesmbog for reporting) and did some more browser shrinking, rewriting the browser navigation code (up, down, start, end etc.) and speed dial handling functions in assembly.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

azesmbog wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:16 pm To finally close the issue
This browser is running on MiSTer.
Apparently, the file with the full name did not open, and I wrote it into the image a little shorter. It still didn't start. That's why I decided that it was because of the specific name Z80. That's why I raised this question.
But apparently this is due to the too old version of the browser v0.17a2, because in the newer version everything is loaded and launched.
There is also a possibility that this particular file was "crookedly" written into the image. On this, I think, we can finish the investigation)
Maybe unrelated but version v0.17a2 still had the file handle leak bug in it where every time you auto started a .tap file, it would leak a file handle. If you ran the browser long enough without hard resetting, eventually esxDOS would run out of file handles and stop loading files altogether. It was fixed in the final version v0.17. :)
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

I tend to think that this error is connected precisely with the presence of the letters "Z80" in the file name and a slightly old version of EsxDOS v.0.8.8
But on the other hand, not everyone has the latest version 0.8.9 :)
An unfortunate set of circumstances. as always with me :)
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Here it is more clearly, with a screenshot.
MiSTer, EsxDOS as far as 0.8.8 noticed
The image is still the same .VHD, but I added fresh browser files and a file with a full long name and a z80_test_clock.tap file to it
I added it at the same time, so it's hard to say that the file is faulty, the other files just recorded normally.
So.
The z80_test_clock.tap file loads and runs without issue.
A file with a long name and a slightly shortened previous file are not loaded, ERROR, the properties of these files cannot be viewed, cannot be renamed.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

azesmbog wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:41 pm Image
Here it is more clearly, with a screenshot.
MiSTer, EsxDOS as far as 0.8.8 noticed
The image is still the same .VHD, but I added fresh browser files and a file with a full long name and a z80_test_clock.tap file to it
I added it at the same time, so it's hard to say that the file is faulty, the other files just recorded normally.
So.
The z80_test_clock.tap file loads and runs without issue.
A file with a long name and a slightly shortened previous file are not loaded, ERROR, the properties of these files cannot be viewed, cannot be renamed.
No idea what is going on from the screenshot and I don't have a MiSTer for debugging.

http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-con ... AP_DBG.zip

If you open the file with the modified TAP plugin provided in the link, it will now print the 8.3 filename the browser has and wait for a key press. Does the printed filename match the filename reported when you do .ls in the same folder from BASIC? What error code (if any) is shown after pressing a key?
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

EsxDOS does not understand space after Z80
Checkmate.
I hope this is only in 0.8.8 version.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

azesmbog wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:58 am EsxDOS does not understand space after Z80
Checkmate.
I hope this is only in 0.8.8 version.
esxDOS 0.8.8 and esxDOS 0.8.9 both loading this file "Z80 .tap" (with spaces before .tap) OK here under Fuse with divMMC-Emulation and "Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS" v0.24a1 NMI".

@azesmbog One question: Is there a converter from .HDF to .VHD-Images or vice versa? ("HDF2VHD" or "VHD2HDF"?).
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Luzie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:46 am Is there a converter from .HDF to .VHD-Images or vice versa?
There are a wide variety of file container formats.
Therefore, there are no universal all-to-all converters :)
If I needed to, I would simply extract all the files from the .VHD container, and create a .HDF container with those files.
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

bob_fossil wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:56 am New test version available here.

The tape browser (_TPE plugin) can now be started with Caps Shift + T regardless of whether you have a .tap file attached (the plugin displays 'No tape file to browse!'. Pressing Shift + N inside the tape browser window lets you create a 0 byte empty .tap file which you can then attach to output via the browser for saving to. You can also auto start loading from the tape at the selection position with Caps Shift + Enter.

Also fixed an issue with certain Unicode characters causing the filename to be displayed incorrectly (thanks to @azesmbog for reporting) and did some more browser shrinking, rewriting the browser navigation code (up, down, start, end etc.) and speed dial handling functions in assembly.
I finally had the time to give this version a try on the Omni. It works as intended. I played around with the tape browser, this can be a useful tool. Many thanks for the new version. Unfortunately I can't help out with the filename issue as I upgraded the ESXDos in my Omni to 0.89.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

The problem with the file name is not global, but purely academic. You can always rename this file to something more digestible)
But if you're still interested, I'll continue.
The problem does not depend on the version of EsxDOS.
With the latest version 0.8.9 exactly the same problem.
I show on my fingers (watch your hands):
1. Name "Z80 .tap" (there is a space after zero) - ERROR
2. I rename the same file
1. Name "Y99 .tap" - (there is also a space after the nine) - loads and works.
Whether the problem is in EsxDOS, or in the .VHD container, or in the browser - to be honest, I'm tired of figuring it out)) It's not worth it. Let it be a feature.
All the best and the right files! )
Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

azesmbog wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:46 am The problem with the file name is not global, but purely academic. You can always rename this file to something more digestible)
But if you're still interested, I'll continue.
The problem does not depend on the version of EsxDOS.
With the latest version 0.8.9 exactly the same problem.
I show on my fingers (watch your hands):
1. Name "Z80 .tap" (there is a space after zero) - ERROR
2. I rename the same file
1. Name "Y99 .tap" - (there is also a space after the nine) - loads and works.
Whether the problem is in EsxDOS, or in the .VHD container, or in the browser - to be honest, I'm tired of figuring it out)) It's not worth it. Let it be a feature.
All the best and the right files! )
Okay, I can at least say that on the Omni in ESXDos 0.89 a tap file named "Z80 .tap" works fine :)

This narrows it down to the VHD container or the MiSTer implementation.
FOZ
Drutt

Post by FOZ »

Hello, new user here - sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I installed this wonderful custom browser with my DivMMC Enjoy! PRO One and latest firmware plugged into my Spectrum 128k. The save state is a great feature and works flawlessly on all games thus far - however my current favorite Dizzy - VIII - Wonderful Dizzy presents the following after loading a save state. Any thoughts?

Chris23235
Microbot

Post by Chris23235 »

FOZ wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:15 am Hello, new user here - sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I installed this wonderful custom browser with my DivMMC Enjoy! PRO One and latest firmware plugged into my Spectrum 128k. The save state is a great feature and works flawlessly on all games thus far - however my current favorite Dizzy - VIII - Wonderful Dizzy presents the following after loading a save state. Any thoughts?

I have no idea, I just made a quick snapshot of Dizzy VIII on the title screen which I can load without a problem. Can you try if this file works for you? This might help to see if it is a general problem. Can you make a snapshot and post it?

Dizzy VIII snapshot