The best Speccy game by Zankle Soft: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:49 am

Ad Lunam
No votes
Ad Lunam Plus
17%
Apulija-13
17%
Cousin Horace
8%
Cronopios Y Famas
No votes
Funky Fungus
No votes
Funky Fungus Reloaded
No votes
Italia 1944
25%
Lost In My Spectrum
17%
Seto Taisho To Kazan
No votes
Seto Taisho Vs Yokai
No votes
Sophia
8%
Sophia II
8%

Total votes: 12

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: The best Speccy game by Zankle Soft: vote

Post by R-Tape »

1 - Ad Lunam Plus
2 - Cronopios Y Famas
3 - Lost in my Spectrum

I've gone for Ad Lunam Plus because it's based on an interesting premise, it's really well planned out and it looks great. It's one of the best management games ever on the Speccy in fact.

I like to appreciate Cronopios as an interactive work of art rather than having to worry about baddy collisions (I'd rather it was a walking game in fact). It brings you into Julio Cortazar's crazy world and I can't think of anything that compares to it.

Lost in my Spectrum. What's not to like? It's a well-made single screen platformer chock-full of Speccy references. It's games like this that I fire my real hardware up for.

Honourable shout out to the high CRN* rated Sophia. Though having said that, none of Ale's games are bad.

*Cybernoid Reference Number
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

1. Italia 1994
2. Ad Lunam Plus
3. Cousin Horace
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

@PeteProdge , please note that Doom Pit is not present in your list. It was originally released by Monument Microgames but nowadays it is officially available through the Zankle Soft page on itch.io.

Whereas the Seto Taisho games have not yet been released by Zankle Soft. And they were originally released by Monument Microgames as well.

https://zanklesoft.itch.io/doom-pit

@Andre Leao , please note that it's 1944 not 1994... :)
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

I know 1994 wasn't a great year in Italian politics but I didn't think things got that bad. :lol:

Anyway...

1. Ad Lunam Plus
2. Italia 1944
3. Lost in my Spectrum
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Alessandro wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:23 pm @PeteProdge , please note that Doom Pit is not present in your list. It was originally released by Monument Microgames but nowadays it is officially available through the Zankle Soft page on itch.io.
You had your chance :P !

But I don't think it wouldn't be included anyway, as Prodge's polls are for original publisher only regardless of current availability.
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Really strong line up of games. Not played them all but the ones I have are fantastic. 👍

May have to put that right this week & vote later
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Sophia
2 Apulija-13
3 Lost In My Spectrum
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Lost In My Spectrum
2. Cousin Horace
3. Ad Lunam Plus

Lost is a great Manic Miner inspired game, Cousin Horace is a worthy tribute to the original Horace games and Ad Luman Plus is a very interesting strategy/management game. Honourable mentions to the two Sofia games and Apulija-13 as well.

Hopefully we will soon get a chance to vote for Gabriele Amore's games as there are some great ones to choose from.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Italia 1944 has - narrowly - won this poll, with 3 votes.

In second position: Ad Lunam Poll, Apulija-13 and Lost In My Spectrum, 2 votes each.

Cousin Horace, Sophia and Sophia II gained 1 vote each to be in the third position.

A different story on the proportional results:

Ad Lunam Plus 9
Italia 1944 8
Lost In My Spectrum 7
Cronopios Y Famas 4
Cousin Horace 3
Sophia 3
Apulija-13 2
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Some comments follow...

I started creating games with AGD ten years ago, and at the time, we that employed it were really few, with Paul Jenkinson as a real pioneer in this field. Nowadays AGD/MPAGD/AGDx titles are popping up a bit everywhere, and the Bearsden school experience showed that it can also be used as an educational tool. In all of my games, I tried to create a different world and atmosphere, getting around the limitations of AGD and the other tools by using them in an "off the wall" way, trying not to repeat what others had already done before.

In the last few years, a new wave of AGD users made some really interesting titles, so my ones - the last was Sophia II in 2019 - might look rather primitive by now, and it is for this reason that I am rather surprised at seeing how much liking Lost In My Spectrum and Apulija-13 obtain even nowadays.

Even more important, since I got to grips with ZX Basic with a very intricate and complex project like Ad Lunam, I understood I would better leave AGD for good - with a big thank you to Jonathan for making all of this possible - and dedicate myself to the strategy/adventure/simulation side, which had been somewhat neglected in Spectrum "retro" projects. So I am glad to see that the latest titles got such a positive feedback.

About Italia 1944, there are more news today...

https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/for ... 93#p116093

And now a little anticipation...

Ad Lunam, Ad Lunam Plus and Italia 1944, especially the latter, were the realization of something that I meditated upon for years, and the next title shall be as well. I have been working at it since the beginning of March with the working title of "Calais". It is based upon a title that I enjoyed very much more than 30 years ago, and it is going to be a really big project, even more ambitious than the last two. I hope to have it ready within this year, but given my chronical lack of spare time to dedicate to retro activities, please take that as an estimate and not as a statement :)
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

Alessandro wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:39 am Ad Lunam, Ad Lunam Plus and Italia 1944, especially the latter, were the realization of something that I meditated upon for years, and the next title shall be as well. I have been working at it since the beginning of March with the working title of "Calais". It is based upon a title that I enjoyed very much more than 30 years ago, and it is going to be a really big project, even more ambitious than the last two. I hope to have it ready within this year, but given my chronical lack of spare time to dedicate to retro activities, please take that as an estimate and not as a statement :)
That's great news Alessandro, I can't wait to see what you have been working on :)