Guardian article on the best video games magazines

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Guardian article on the best video games magazines

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Definition of loop : see loop
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Re: Guardian article on the best video games magazines

Post by bluespikey »

Really odd that there's minimal call back to the 8 bit era. And in the honourable mention section there is :

Sinclair User (some of the best cover designs of the era),

Which probably means Crash surely. Unless they really did like Kamikaze Bear
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

I think it's actually not a bad mix at all, and it cleverly covers all bases. I would place my favourites (YS & ACE) much higher, but then it's not my list. And yeah, Edge, despite its perceived stuffiness and some hilarious mishaps ( GTA 3 - 7/10 lol) probably does deserve the #1.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

bluespikey wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:05 pm Really odd that there's minimal call back to the 8 bit era. And in the honourable mention section there is :

YS,CU,C&VG,Zzap, Crash is in 2nd, surely that's enough 8-bittery?

Quite a snub to Big K though.

I'd have had AP top, I think, but it was always going to be Edge.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

bluespikey wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:05 pm Really odd that there's minimal call back to the 8 bit era. And in the honourable mention section there is :

I think SU can be divided into 3 periods: the staid serious period, the humorous period, and then the kids comic period. IMHO, SU had some pretty good covers in the middle period, around 86-87 (looking at thumbnails of them). They didn't have the consistency of the quality Crash covers though.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Edge would be better if only you could talk to the monsters and make friends with them ;)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I think Keith Stuart has compiled an excellent list here, with a nice mix of machines, and no shortage of reference to the 8-bit era. I'm personally happy that YS made top ten :dance

Interesting to note that the 18 magazines in this list represents less than 1 in 5 of the total British videogames publications. (Wikipedia lists 86.)

Another random fact is that I think Keith Stuart looks a bit like me LOL
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

YS, Mean Machines & Retro Gamer for me.
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:50 pm Edge would be better if only you could talk to the monsters and make friends with them ;)
So basically, Undertale, right?
Chelsea E., a Speccy fan from the U.S.
Also a musician and a beginning games developer.
🏳️‍⚧️ p r i d e 🏳️‍🌈
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

I guess.

I'm referring to their classic Doom review though which was a bit bizarre to say the least lol ;) 7/10
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

1. Crash
1. Your Spectrum
2. Sinclair Programs

1000. Sinclair User
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:38 pm I guess.

I'm referring to their classic Doom review though which was a bit bizarre to say the least lol ;) 7/10
Damn, I really should read more into the history of these tings. :lol:
Chelsea E., a Speccy fan from the U.S.
Also a musician and a beginning games developer.
🏳️‍⚧️ p r i d e 🏳️‍🌈
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

I think YS was the best it had a good mix of humour and articles on programming and such.

Crash only really went for the games reviews which were often "influenced" by publishers shall we say ;)

Sinclair User was OK before YS came out, for the programming stuff. Reviews were generally terrible.

Edge magazine was good and glossy but way too pretentious for my liking. Used to read old issues at work when working late or skiving.

C&VG was pretty good they covered arcade machines too.
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

For me, because my exposure to them were mainly the later period.

YS stood out because of the writing. The irrelevance of it. The covertapes were usually okay.

SU was fine. They had a lot of programming related articles (that I would still recommend from time to time), and probably the best cover tapes. In the end they ran out of Steam, though.

Crash, I really wanted to like them, but really low quality cover tapes meant that I usually chose the others. They have technical articles, but usually they always left out the real technical part of it. Also their writing seemed to aim at an age group older than I was.

I like a lot of the magazines mentioned in the article, but I was surprised they couldn't spelled Famitsu correctly. :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

What the hell is YS doing bundled with Commodore User? It's like pairing up a Ferrari with a slipper. Commodore User has nothing in comparison, a different machine (alright, at least the bundling of Crash and Zzap! at least makes some kind of sense), different writing staff and a totally different publisher. If anything, Your Commodore would have been the most appropriate partner, as that was the Commodore-flavoured version of YS from Dennis.

Your Sinclair continues to be the best computer magazine of all time, and as much as people praise Amiga Power to the high heavens (and that really was good), that was still a YS tribute act (and yeah, a reason as to why it was so good - follow the best!)

Looking back on the Spectrum era, I have to say Sinclair User was not a bad cassette really and there are rumours that occasionally you might find one or two okay things to read in the paper it was attached to.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

1. Your Sinclair
2. Sinclair User
3. Your Spectrum

Crash was just boring, sorry
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

I don’t have time to read it but my favourite old mags were;

1 YS and my goodness how much did I love that magazine!
2 GamesX for its lovely typography and layout
3 C&VG because it was nice seeing other formats and it generated a bit of excitement if the Speccy popped up in it

By the time I had some purchasing power, I found SU too puerile and I never gelled with Crash. I didn’t know its format changed in its later years.

I bought a random issue of Zero once and really enjoyed that. Games Master was okay but a bit OTT. Post Speccy, we had a Mac because of reasons, and Future’s MacFormat became my magazine of choice (and the short lived MacAction).

For a few years I got into Retro Gamer and there were some great interviews but I lost interest eventually.