Be careful - image flipping won'r protect you!

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Be careful - image flipping won'r protect you!

Post by Nitrowing »

Jeff Dieschburg, an artist in Luxembourg who took work by others, made trivial edits, and won awards with paintings of the results. Sued there by U.S. photographer Jingna Zhang, he won an early verdict in his favour, but has now lost on appeal.

The court found that Dieschburg's painting "Turandot" infringed upon Zhang's copyright. As a result, Dieschburg is prohibited from exhibiting the painting in the future, with a penalty of €1,000 per day up to a maximum of €100,000 for non-compliance. The legal costs total €1,500.

Zhang accused Dieschburg of having copied his oil painting "Turandot" one-to-one from her photos, alleging copyright infringement. Dieschburg had displayed the painting at the Biennale in Strassen and had even received prize money for it. The case garnered significant attention in the summer of 2022, both within and beyond the borders of the Grand Duchy.

Dieschburg had the audacity to lecture Zhang on copyright after she originally complained. This ultimately helped expose what he had done to wider attention—and now to getting his own, more expensive lecture on copyright from a judge.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Be careful - image flipping won'r protect you!

Post by R-Tape »

Crikey. Not sure how I feel about this one. So if we use a photo reference for e.g. a loading screen, flipped or otherwise, we could still technically end up in hot water?

If we use the Greencard SCRamble technique we'll probably be safe...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yes, it's an obvious plagiarism in the given photo.

I wouldn't be so afraid about Zx Spectrum works however. I believe that we are such a small niche that nobody gives a damn about us.

All right, there was that Smurfs case in the Amiga community: https://www.indieretronews.com/2015/01/ ... ed-by.html
I read somewhere it was a deliberate action of some guy who didn't like the author and reported him to the copyright holders to make him some damage. Yes, people are suckers sometimes. I don't know what was the final result of it, however.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

What is a copy and what is not a copy?
What is a derived work?
What about an item inspired by another item that is copyrighted?

Ultimately all humans learn by copying. If a child decided to paint a picture of a photo, would that be a copyright infringement?

Copyright is only supposed to protect the commercial value of a piece of original creative work.

Did the copyright owner loose money because someone else painted a reversed image of the photo? I don't know.

What I do know, is that if everyone enforced their copyright on every item of their creative works, our world would be a nasty horrible place.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Clearly this tune which Vanilla Ice thought up whilst on the toilet one day is a derived work and not a copy

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

A lot of "sampled" content from 80s games and music was granted a free pass because computer (and sampling) technology back then was still new, and laws surrounding it weren't fully formed.

On the other hand, just plain copying someone else's paining like this without giving credit has never been acceptable. It's the truest form of plagiarism. Jeff Dieschburg's paintings weren't "homage" or "tribute". He wasn't building upon the work of others to create something original. He was simply ripping off artists to make money from their talent.

As for the modern Speccy community, anyone with common sense intuitively understands that copyright infringement should carry no serious legal repercussions, since:

1) Most games are non-commercial, made as a hobby.
2) The size of the community is so small that "publishing" is more akin to sharing a work privately with friends.
3) Spectrum graphics are so primitive and crude, they can only barely be considered a reproduction of a copyrighted work.
4) True plagiarism is released to the general public, not provided via obscure, obsolete videogame media.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Ralf wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:50 am Yes, people are suckers sometimes.
People are suckers always.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

I think the OPs example is a little extreme, at least when read in context or whatever that is not pure plagiarism. Otherwise, how assorted mags, books, databases, which are either based on screenshots or its their main ingredient, could exist?
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

akeley wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:19 pm how assorted mags, books, databases, which are either based on screenshots or its their main ingredient, could exist?
There are legal fair-use exemptions for reviews, and academic journals and the like.
Cheez26
Microbot

Post by Cheez26 »

I think parodies and homages should be protected under fair use, but copyright laws are getting so ridiculous on an international level that Nintendo has taken down the assets used to create parody work made using Gmod and SFM.

Fair use should also apply to fan-made demakes and ports (especially if it's noncommercial), if we wanna get back on the retrogaming topic.
Chelsea E., a Speccy fan from the U.S.
Also a musician and a beginning games developer.
🏳️‍⚧️ p r i d e 🏳️‍🌈
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

TBH that's the first time I've ever heard of image mirroring as a way to solve the plagiarism problem. I know that some youtube reviewers use mirrored movie footage with some filters applied as a way to trick youtube's contentID system, but that's just a way to trick the machinery and it obviously fails to fool the human eye.

That example in the opening post is kinda hilarious though, it literally looks like a flipped photo. The artist could've changed the composition a little bit, change some things (clothes' folds, the way hair looks etc.) but he chose not to and only added an earring, it seems. I also thought he added a beauty mark, but nope, just my screen being dirty haha

As for how this case would chage the future of Speccy gfx, personally I don't think it would impact much really. As @Lee Bee already stated, the Speccy scene is not THAT big, everyone knows each other, it's pretty far from the mainstream and nobody's making big money from this (right???). You gotta adapt to the Spectrum's limitations anyway, so whether you convert that photo the crudest way possible or you copy it by using pixel-art techniques, it's still gonna look derivative enough (although obviously the latter approach is preferable)
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Mpk wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:34 pm There are legal fair-use exemptions for reviews, and academic journals and the like.
Yes, which is why I said the example in the OP seems rather detached from our scene, since it's so blatantly a case of real plagiarism. As in taking somebody's work and pretending its yours. I usppose this kind of direct action is rare, and when it actually has happened recently with one of the ZX games it has sort of resolved itself quickly, with dev changing the assets.

Although I also seem to recall one of Bitmap Books - the Sega one - has been blocked from publication by Sega. I'm rather interested in this subject since I'm finalizing a big project which is based purely on photos taken from games.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

akeley wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:11 am Although I also seem to recall one of Bitmap Books - the Sega one - has been blocked from publication by Sega. I'm rather interested in this subject since I'm finalizing a big project which is based purely on photos taken from games.
It's a funny thing with screenshots and in-game video footage. The former has been seen in magazines since the stone age and the latter is all over YouTube. These are in context of 'review' - fair use. If you're selling a commercial product with this art in it and there's no context of review, well, I'm not too surprised Sega wagged its finger.

As for taking famous pop culture iconography and making games based on it, that too is not at all surprising to see an IP owner fire off a legal demand, in spite of how commercially obsolete the platform may well be. Unauthorised products could tarnish the value of the IP.

And yet, every summer in the UK since the 1970s, we still see ice cream vans pull up with rather crudely drawn Disney characters all over them. It's not a British summer until you've had a 99 from a diesel-fume-spewing van with a wobbly Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck on the side of it.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:50 am It's a funny thing with screenshots and in-game video footage. The former has been seen in magazines since the stone age and the latter is all over YouTube. These are in context of 'review' - fair use. If you're selling a commercial product with this art in it and there's no context of review, well, I'm not too surprised Sega wagged its finger.
Well, the book (about Megadrive games) had some sort of reviews and what's more interesting they already have produced one in the same style about Master System and that one had Sega's blessing. Story: https://www.eurogamer.net/bitmap-books- ... gal-action

Far as I know "fair use" can also in some cases be stretched past "reviewing" and into the "commentary, criticism, news reporting, or educational purposes". But one thing is sure, if a powerful entity threatens, lil' man doesn't have many options but fold.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:28 am Clearly this tune which Vanilla Ice thought up whilst on the toilet one day is a derived work and not a copy

Didn't he try to claim originally that he had never even heard Queen's/Bowie's Under Pressure? Clearly no one in the world fell for that BS. :lol: :lol:
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Yeah he did claim that, said he thought of the tune when on the toilet.

I don't think it's a sample though, piano notes are in reverse order?

Anyway should have given Queen/Bowie credit and royalties, I think they took him to court.

Apparently it was a sample. $4M damages paid

https://loudwire.com/queen-brian-may-th ... e%20sample.

Watching the video again I think the backing dancers are even more camp than the S1W's lol ;)

Clearly both influenced by this I think

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Just to note: While the term "sampling" did originate from literal samplers, its meaning very quickly shifted to include any kind of emulation of someone else's musical riff.