Let's see if I can beat Scrabble Deluxe on highest level then

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
sn3j
Manic Miner

Re: Let's see if I can beat Scrabble Deluxe on highest level then

Post by sn3j »

Yeah Za/Ag and then maybe Stag on it, if it's valid though.
But I suspect it's closing the Ag somehow.
POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Played that then.

It challenged both, just like it did in last game. ZA - pizza, AG - agriculture

I can see a 50+ play if CPU doesn't block it.

Psychic CPU blocks it. Scores terrible though but probably good job it blocked AX/EX lol

sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

CPU is now 100+ short. Interesting to see if this is going to beat the previous score.
I'm occasionally off now.
Last edited by sn3j on Mon May 20, 2024 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

I'll stop playing for a bit then see if anyone else jumps in offering (non-cheating of course) advice, or else resume tomorrow night.

I have FLAX and FLUX on rack I could play with FAG, that leaves the X below the triple word score but it takes away the double letter score it was on.

Pretty sure ERF is not allowed. Even though it's a decent mathematical function ;)

Also some possibilities for triples on the right and top right, can't see any that use the X though.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

Maybe Stag, then cross with Xus. If Stag is valid.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

sn3j wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:59 pm Maybe Stag, then cross with Xus. If Stag is valid.
I looked up XUS after the game yesterday. It's not allowed, XU only.

I'd want more points for an S than that though I think. I want to play either FLAX, FLUX or take out one of the triple word scores on the right.

Not sure if I'll get 400+ this time unless the board opens up. Although I have got JZX again this time. No blanks left either. Still 53 tiles in bag though so it's early days.
Last edited by ParadigmShifter on Mon May 20, 2024 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:07 pm I looked up XUS after the game yesterday. It's not allowed, XU only.

I'd want more points for an S than that though I think. I want to play either FLAX, FLUX or take out one of the triple word scores on the right.
Right, I thought Xus is ok.
Za / Agio then, maybe.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

sn3j wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:16 pm Right, I thought Xus is ok.
Za / Agio then, maybe.
Not sure if AGIO is valid, so it's a risk. I think FAG and FLAX or FLUX or one of the triples on right side is the play.

I think TOS is ok (tos and fros?) don't think FLUXS or FLAXS is though. Not 100% on TOS either.

TO takes T and ER takes A or S on right hand side.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:19 pm Not sure if AGIO is valid, so it's a risk. I think FAG and FLAX or FLUX or one of the triples on right side is the play.

I think TOS is ok (tos and fros?) don't think FLUXS or FLAXS is though. Not 100% on TOS either.

TO takes T and ER takes A or S on right hand side.
Agio is a financial term, Italian for upcost (from the top of my head). This would be 16 with a mere 'A'. :)

I think it's a good idea to have break and see if someone wants to chime in.
Last edited by sn3j on Mon May 20, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Ok. I think FAULT is probably the play onto TOT for triple word score for 30, leaves XS, pretty good leave that.

That would block the board even more though. Although usually a good idea to do that if you are ahead since it forces the opponent to open it for you most of the time.

I'll probably risk AGIO if I pick up TRA or CRA later on and CZAR or TZAR is available though :)

There's only 2 T's unaccounted for looks like, the other C, and 3 R's. 4 A's.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Have you played German version of scrabble as well? I heard that lets you have 8 tiles on your rack (obvs the letter distribution and points per letter will change a lot, Z is probably worth 1 or something lol, presumably Y is worth 10?). I guess there's no umlaut letters or sharp-S either? Does that mean umlauts are assumed or you have to play OE for O with an umlaut instead? And SS for sharp S presumably?

One thing about getting 8 tiles on the rack is 9x scores (covering 2 triple word scores) are a LOT more common I would expect.

Shame the board is too small for a simple everyday word like Krankenversicherung to fit on it though ;)
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:48 pm Have you played German version of scrabble as well? I heard that lets you have 8 tiles on your rack (obvs the letter distribution and points per letter will change a lot, Z is probably worth 1 or something lol, presumably Y is worth 10?). I guess there's no umlaut letters or sharp-S either? Does that mean umlauts are assumed or you have to play OE for O with an umlaut instead? And SS for sharp S presumably?

One thing about getting 8 tiles on the rack is 9x scores (covering 2 triple word scores) are a LOT more common I would expect.

Shame the board is too small for a simple everyday word like Krankenversicherung to fit on it though ;)
In school, about 40 years ago. Too long to remember but I was once left with a 'Y' that I couldn't get rid of, so -10 (I'd have won otherwise).
Yep there are some ridiculously long words in German. A kids play is to start with Donaudampfschiffahrt and then add all sorts of words to extend it, like Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmützenrand etc. :D
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

That's something to do with the foreman of the Danube shipping company or something IIRC ;)

I'll always remember Krankenversicherung because Duolingo used to quiz me on it daily it seems like :)

Ja, Ich habe eine gute Krankenversicherung. Didn't you ask me that yesterday lol.

Also, Mein Luftkissenfahrtzeug ist voller Aale. I sent that to my German boss once he had no idea what I was on about (Monty Python sketch).

Obviously there's a whole webpage for translations of that

https://www.omniglot.com/language/phras ... rcraft.htm

Sadly Duolingo did not teach me the word for hovercraft nor eels.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Did say I'd check the first rack for bingos before bed.

No bingos, could have scored 2 more points with IATRIC, whatever that is lol.

Would have left an I next to a double letter score though which is asking for trouble.

Wasn't interested in words with 4 or less fewer letters since they can't reach the double letter square for more points.

So happy with ARTIC as my first play. It's the only 5 letter valid word that ended with the C on the double letter. EDIT: Apart from AREIC, never heard that one before either. That might have been better had I known it, leaves TI instead of IE. That was probably the best play.

EDIT: Obvs could have started with C instead didn't think of that, so lots of 5 letter words available there ;) I would have wanted to avoid placing a vowel next to the double letter score obvs. And I wanted to play at least one I.

So CERIA, CITER were the other 5 letter words that double the C and play an I, both leave a vowel next to the double letter squares. I think ARTIC was fine. The other words starting with C didn't use an I so would leave a worse rack. Not heard of CERIA. I did say CITE was ok didn't think of adding an R. EDIT: Ok, I didn't say CITE was ok but I did consider it and ruled it out since it was 4 letters, that's my excuse.

areic
areic (ˈɛərɪɪk)
adj
relating to division by area

Bit vague that ;)

Since it's an adjective probably didn't take an S afterwards unlike ARTIC? Bedtime now, not checking whether it takes an S or not.

Of course I checked it lol ;) It doesn't take an S.

EDIT2: Totally didn't see TRIAC in the list either lol ;) Anagram of ARTIC. Not got a strong opinion on that one atm.

EDIT3: Was also correct that there were a lot of 8s available if I had gone second instead of first. Like I said passing first turn just invites the opponent to do a free change letters though, but I don't think the Speccy would think of that - so that's probably a way to exploit the AI. RFHNBD pretty likely to be played so exploiting was probably an option (only if you know the words or cheat though obvs). I make it ~22.5% chance one of those letter would be played (22 out of 93 letters unseen, minus 1 for the R I had on rack = 21/93 = 22.58% with drunk maths). It's more complicated probability than that though - obvs if no letters are played there's 0% chance of seeing any, so depends on length of CPU word (probs at least 1 letter now I think about it, the more letters it plays the more likely it is to play one of RFHNBD. 22.5% is probability one of the letters it plays is one of those I think). Complicated at beer o'clock. Anyway that's one of the reasons computers and mathematicians are generally better at Scrabble than people who know lots of words ;) What you need to do to get good is to remember the most playable words (so all 2 letter words, lots of very common bingos, Q words without U, etc.)

CRITERIA was the only one I obviously know that I didn't think of. I mentioned ARTIFICE. Didn't know any of the other words.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

SAX is another option, for 33, but yeah, kills two of the power letters, so I guess FAULT is strategically better.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

For some reason I had dismissed ERS as a possibility but I think it is ok yeah now I think about it. I think cos ER is an interjection I wasn't sure if it took an S (probably does though). It is a waste of an S though, my rule of thumb is usually make a bingo or make more than 20 points better than your other plays. Exceptions apply e.g. blocking the computer from extending your word with an S can be useful too.

I also like FAULT the best though, scores enough for a triple word score, leaves XS for later, cycles 5 letters. If ERS is ok could play FAULTS as well seems also a waste of an S for just 6 more.

FLUX/FLAX and FAG scores 29 leaves either UTS or ATS (both not bad) but doesn't bag a triple which I probably should do since CPU just opened it up for me. Also leaves an X available to be tripled so is more risky. There's also FAUX in same spot that's just a worse leave overall though (LST).

There's also very risky FAUXS (is plural of faux pas fauxs pas?) and also risky TOS, so gonna rule that out I think. That would score the most though.

It's not like having a denied challenge is a risk worth taking like it was earlier since my rack isn't bingoable with more letters on board really.

Game will resume this evening.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Also I did a google image search for jetbike... there's like a bazillion images and references lol.

It was the name of the vehicle in Return of the Jedi looks like. EDIT: Nope, that was a speeder bike... Jetbike is a Warhammer 40K rip off of that though looks like.

Neither have 2 wheels which is kind of the point of a bike though lol.

But good job I didn't risk it :)
Last edited by ParadigmShifter on Tue May 21, 2024 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

Can't you play Fault and add the S later? This should give a few decent points.

I remember watching the episode with the Hovercraft as a kid (not very amused though). Wasn't it a mockery of the British army for testing their 'combat' hovercrafts for the Falkland war?
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Adding the S later isn't that great really, you only get to use premium squares once. Best use for an S is pluralising a word whilst playing another word perpendicular same time (preferably a bingo) - as I did with NATTERS (I think NUTTERS would have been a better choice for the blank though in hindsight). So it's the best "instant hook" letter in the game. (Hook = letter you join onto when making a perpendicular play).

I think you are thinking of another hovercraft thing there with Monty Python. I am of course referring to the classic Hungarian Phrase Book sketch.

Obviously Monty Python being from the late 60s/early 70s predates the Falklands war by some years.

EDIT: I think I will play FAULT in a bit (at lunchtime) then continue rest of game in the evening.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

Just watched it in German. Translation is right, Luftkissenfahrzeug voller Aale.
I was mistaking a news report about military hovercrafts that was aired back in the days in Germany probably for a Monty Python episode. They were driving that thing through all sorts of terrains, marsh, small rivers etc.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Also makes sense in German LUFT = air KISSEN = cushion FAHRT = vehicle? (or is it drive, can't remember) ZEUG = thingy

Lunchtime bonus play of FAULT/TOT for 30

CPU plays SWIZ for 32, could have just played WIZ and kept the S

Vowel shortage. Might be something onto the S of SWIZ otherwise I can see REX twice at the bottom or BEND in same place which doubles the B and keeps the X. (Nope. BEND is not playable there lol. BED is). BADE is defo a word I think (99% certain again), was considering playing that earlier.

So BRED instead of BED to double the B. Neither of those look great though.

BIND/NAG is the no vowel play I can see.

Or could play BINDER there. Don't like that though, whole point of playing BIND is to not play my only vowel. Could also just play BIN and NAG... D goes ok with X. Want to play the B I think anyway.

Don't think you got away with deleting that post either I saw it lol :) Need 2 E's for bender of course.

Could play SEX tripling the X but 26 isn't enough to compensate for having no vowels on rack after that play.
Last edited by ParadigmShifter on Tue May 21, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

my idea is Brew across Swiz
If you want to go on in the evening, no probs.

Fahr zeug
correct translation would be perhaps drive-thingy :geek:
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

As an aside, do you guys play Scrabble irl against other people?

I'm aware how accomplished Scrabble players know hoards of those two/three letter words that most of us mortals haven't heard of.

If I was playing a mate and started playing those, I'd probably get eyerolls and people not wanting to play any more :oops:

I get the impression it's a big leap from playing Scrabble with regular casuals and playing it with Scrabble-ites.

Or I guess you can try to learn a bunch of the words and then play other people who also know them.
Or learn a bunch of them and then play the computer...?

(Genuine question BTW)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Yeah I will carry on after 6PM tonight, give time for other suggestions and such.

I thought it was FAHRT (I remember AUSFAHRT from signs) is the T optional or is it defo wrong? I see the website which translates it has no T either.

I have a glass tankard with Mój poduszkowiec jest pełen węgorzy engraved on it which the Polish lads at work got me for my birthday present ;) They had it engraved specially lol.

I used to stand up and say "My hovercraft is full of eels" when they were all arguing furiously with each other in Polish and I wanted them to quiet down or at least argue in English so I could understand them.

Also trying to learn Kanji

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

I understand watashi-no (my - 私の) HOBA-KUREFUTO (ホバークラフト which is Katakana (Japanese phonetic alphabet for loan words, also used like italics in English)) there at least.
Last edited by ParadigmShifter on Tue May 21, 2024 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ParadigmShifter
Dynamite Dan

Morkin wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:51 pm As an aside, do you guys play Scrabble irl against other people?

I'm aware how accomplished Scrabble players know hoards of those two/three letter words that most of us mortals haven't heard of.

If I was playing a mate and started playing those, I'd probably get eyerolls and people not wanting to play any more :oops:

I get the impression it's a big leap from playing Scrabble with regular casuals and playing it with Scrabble-ites.

Or I guess you can try to learn a bunch of the words and then play other people who also know them.
Or learn a bunch of them and then play the computer...?

(Genuine question BTW)
I have a friend I sometimes play against IRL. I used to play it online quite a lot but I lost my account password.

When I play my friend she lets us both look at the 2 letter word list which is a good way to learn.

Once you know most of the 2 letter words you can start learning which letters you can add to them to make 3 letter words off of them (I'm not very good at that except for a few, e.g. I know ZO can be extended to ZOA and DZO (ZHO and DZHO also good)). Also JO -> JOE -> JOEY, JOES or SJOE (my favourite 4 letter word, WAQF and MZEE also very good).

It's definitely worth learning the best Q without U words too (posted a link to a full list earlier in thread), and some good words with Z and J as well.

You pick up good words as you see them, playing lots of games against good humans (International Scrabble Club website where I used to play is good and matches you against people with similar ELO ratings). You can also play with checking allowed if you want on that site (applies to both players then, can't play a dodgy word then, can check before typing it in as well).

Unfortunately with the ISC site you have to play random peeps 10 times before you can challenge people you know, which is a bit daft. Also I used to get accused of cheating a lot when I first started lol (I wasn't cheating, that would be silly, it's a game, so I don't take it too seriously). As you find better players obviously they don't accuse you of cheating, they usually battered me though lol. Being beaten is a good way to learn of course.

For the Speccy versions Psion is ok but not as good as Scrabble Deluxe on highest level. You also won't learn many good words with Psion whereas as you can see Scrabble Deluxe knows quite a lot (it doesn't know loads of good 2 letter words though - QI being the main omission - Psion doesn't know that either, don't think it knows ZO either).

So playing the Speccy only gets you to a certain level since there's loads of good words it will never play.

I'm sure there are excellent PC versions or websites which are probably way too good - bots are on par with best human players now. Only edge humans have is intuition (like "from that play I reckon it must be holding on to an S", etc.).

My best ever online play (well not best, but most notable) was playing BRR - got challenged, it is valid. Then I played BRRR next turn lol :)

EUOI is also worth knowing if you need to dump vowels.

Best tip is probably to aim for RETAINS on your rack that makes the most 7 and 8 letter words. (RETINAS and RETSINA also anagrams of RETAINS).
Last edited by ParadigmShifter on Tue May 21, 2024 2:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.