ZX Spectrum 48k issue two with poor image and unkown fixes

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
iadvd
Dizzy

ZX Spectrum 48k issue two with poor image and unkown fixes

Post by iadvd »

Dear all, I have purchased a Spectrum 48k recently, it is my first issue two Speccy and to my surprise after making the composite output I found that the image is blurry, greenish and unstable, but the computer seems stable (I can use the keyboard, it works well, no errors, etc.). I think that my composite fix is fine, I have done it several times and this is the first time I have this problem, initially I discard that the reason is my little fix (I have double checked). The pcb is quite interesting too. It is the first time I see an issue two Speccy and I do not know what are some of the components. And finally, there is a strange fix that I do not know what is doing. I have purchased a multimeter, and I would like to fix it by myself... I would appreciate very much any guide about how to find the faulty component(s). It seems only an image issue, although still I did not have time to load a game to check if the complete memory is fine :D

Ok, here are the pics... first the problem... the image is blurry and some reddish lines move down-up constantly over the greenish screen. Apart from that I can use the computer normally (still a better memory test is required but seems to be ok):

The pcb was pretty clean, but a weird fix has been done...

What is this fix doing? is that a transistor? I do not understand the purpose...

Also it is the first time I see those components... what are they? capacitors?

Any guidance about next steps is very appreciated! Cheers! :)
Furillo Productions' games can be downloaded here:
https://furilloproductions.itch.io/
MrClump
Microbot

Re: ZX Spectrum 48k issue two with poor image and unkown fixes

Post by MrClump »

It looks like you need to adjust the trimmers, there is a good guide on Spectrum for Everyone:

https://spectrumforeveryone.com/technic ... reen-tint/
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]MrClump[/mention] thank you very much! I will try and will be back with the results! :D :D :D
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

Ok here are the results... by touching the trimmers / potentiometers, the colors get more as expected but just when it is going to get the best white color (for instance testing with the Sinclair copyright welcome image white background) then the image turns unstable. Curiously, then touching a little bit the second variable capacitor (the one closer to the trimmers) the image gets stable. Switching off then on several times it does not change, it is stable.

But said that, the stable image is still having a lot of background noise, and blurry. So it seems that something else is going on and this will require some general recap...

I think I should try to change the potentiometers first (they seem in bad shape) and also the board voltage converter (the one that changes 9v to 5v at the bottom right side)... it that does not work, I will start changing the usual (blue) capacitors...

Any ideas about what next steps I could do are very appreciated. I have a new multimeter so I am eager to use it! :lol: Thank you. :)
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The transistor on top of the Z80 is known as the ‘spider’ modification. Sinclair discovered a bug in the ULA and this is the fix for the bug. On later issue boards, this transistor has been incorporated into the PCB layout as TR6. It’s normal on issue two boards, although it is not always positioned on top of the Z80.

The items you highlighted in your other photo are adjustable/variable capacitors and adjustable/variable resistors. Because the variable resistors don’t have provision for a control knob, they are normally known as presets or trim pots.
As you have discovered, VR1 and VR2 are used to calibrate the colour encoder settings. On issue three and later boards, additional circuitry does this ‘automatically’.
If the colour is stable, I would not not worry about trying to replace VR1 and VR2. They don’t get adjusted very often, so are unlikely to be worn out. You could try a VERY SMALL amount of WD40 on the black/brown carbon track where the metal wiper makes contact, then adjust them backwards and forwards several times. Then set them up again. This often reduces any electrical noise from them due to dust.

Normally the adjustable/variable capacitors should not be adjusted unless you have suitable test gear to set them up correctly. But if the colours are unstable, you have nothing to loose if you adjust them just a little bit. Take a photo that you can refer back to if you need to, to see where they were before adjustment.

All the electrolytic capacitors should be replaced with brand new ones. If possible try to buy axial types and buy from a reputable supplier. Be careful buying from trading sites like eBay. There are poor quality parts being sold on the various trading sites.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

During fault finding and servicing, I recommend the following tests.

Test the voltages on the 7805 voltage regulator and report the results.

Be very careful that a multimeter probe does not slip and short anything out. You can use use the heatsink tab for 0V/GND instead of the middle pin (electrically inside the chip they are connected together). Use this point for the black/negative meter lead unless I specify a different location.

When using a Sinclair 9V UK1400 PSU, the input should be between 10V and 13V.
The output should be between 4.75V and 5.25V.

Then can you please check the +12V and -5V power rails. These are all available on the edge-connector. They are also all available on the pins of one of the 4116 (or equivalent) DRAM chips, for example IC13.

Note that some diagrams in some Sinclair documentation (including some of the manuals) show a "-12V" supply pin as well. Ignore this, the name is supposed to be "~12V" (where the ~ is a wavy line) as this is a AC waveform, not a DC supply. The supply rails that you should test are however, labelled correctly.

A copy of the full data sheet is here

Pin 1 is VBB, which is -5V (-5.5V to -4V).
Pin 8 is VDD, which is +12V (+10.8V to +13.2V) (although lower than 11.5V normally indicates a problem).
Pin 9 is VCC, which is +5V (+4.75V to +5.25V) (the output from the 7805 regulator is normally very close to +5V).
Pin 16 is VSS, which is 0V (ground/GND) Test this by measuring between this pin (black test lead) and pin 1 (red test lead).
(Voltage tolerances taken from here)

Also, let’s look at the +5V and +12V supplies to the video section.
Test pin 14 on the ULA (IC1) for the +5V supply.
Test pins 14, 15 and 16 on IC14 (LM1889) for +12V.

If all the voltage tests are okay, then all the power supply circuitry is okay.

Otherwise please report back your results.

If you are up to doing modifications, there is a Sinclair recommended upgrade to the DC-DC power supply circuitry on the issue two board. I’ve posted details here on my blog.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]1024MAK[/mention] Hi, thank you very much for the explanation of the design, uncle Clive is amazing. :lol:

Yeah it is my case that the colors are unstable so I touched also the adjustable/variable capacitors. Touching a little bit
made the image closer to something acceptable.

But anyway, it seems that even checking the values with the multimeter, something strange is happening specifically on VR1,
so I am thinking about changing the two variable resistors VR1 and VR2... I know that it must be 2k horizontal, but I do not know any
specific brand name... any ideas are welcomed!

About the electrolytic capacitors, I am going to buy from a well known online seller (in Japan), from the brand Vishay.
My list includes the following set (basically for a whole recap):

3 x 1uf 63v
1 x 4.7uf 63v
7 x 22uf 25v
2 x 100uf 25v

if you are curious, this is the Japanese provider (Marutsu) they work very well,e.g.:

https://www.marutsu.co.jp/pc/i/33411722/

Cheers!
1024MAK wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:56 pm But if the colours are unstable, you have nothing to loose if you adjust them just a little bit. Take a photo that you can refer back to if you need to, to see where they were before adjustment.

All the electrolytic capacitors should be replaced with brand new ones. If possible try to buy axial types and buy from a reputable supplier. Be careful buying from trading sites like eBay. There are poor quality parts being sold on the various trading sites.

Mark
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]1024MAK[/mention] Thanks for the explanation regarding the voltages... I am going to try today to check those and will be back here with the results :)
1024MAK wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:03 am During fault finding and servicing, I recommend the following tests.

Test the voltages on the 7805 voltage regulator and report the results.

If you are up to doing modifications, there is a Sinclair recommended upgrade to the DC-DC power supply circuitry on the issue two board. I’ve posted details here on my blog.

Mark
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]1024MAK[/mention] Hi again, first of all thank you very much for all the time you take for helping! ok, the results: I have checked all the positions you asked and all seems pretty well, of course still the image is very unstable, not accurate, blurry and with background noise, would a recap help to clean out the quality of the image? :?:

A) 7085
in >> 8,73v
out >> 4.81

B) This issue is using
Upper 32k is TMS4532-20NL4 and it gives at pin 8 4.8v (texted the 8 chips)
Lower 16 is using MM529ON-2 (tested 8 chips)
pin 1 >> -4.86
pin 8 >> 11.61
pin9 >> 4.78

C) ULA
pin 14 >> 4.70v

D) LM1889
pin 14 >> 11.09v
pin 15 >> 11.09v
pin 16 >> 11.09v

Apart from this I tried to verify the memory by loading games:

I was able to load a 16k game, like Horace goes Skiing

but I was not able to load any 48k game... they all reset the machine, so it seems that also there are memory issues...

Any guidance about a simple test that I could perform to verify memory is also very very appreciated :) Cheers!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

iadvd wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:22 am But anyway, it seems that even checking the values with the multimeter, something strange is happening specifically on VR1,
so I am thinking about changing the two variable resistors VR1 and VR2... I know that it must be 2k horizontal, but I do not know any specific brand name... any ideas are welcomed!
These are generic types. As long as the correct value is used (2k2) and size (the correct pin pitch, that is, the dimensions between the pins) is selected, any brand/make should be okay.

As you will be buying quite a lot of parts, before you order, check through these details that I have taken from the service manual. I’ve updated these where needed. I suspect on your board most of this will already have been done.

Modifications - Issue 2 Board
A number of modifications have also been introduced for the Issue 2 board. These should be checked and, if necessary, introduced retrospectively.
  • These components should be changed if colour quality needs upgrading:
    • R48 changed from 4k7 to 2k2
    • R49 changed from 18k to 8k2
    • R50 changed form 8k2 to 4k7
    • R72 changed from 47k (or 18k) to 10k
    • C65 changed from 100uF to 22uF
    All these are to the left of IC14, except C65 which is above it. On a lot of boards they may have already have been changed or the board was manufactured with the revised values.
  • Early Issue 2 boards were manufactured using a considerable number of 47uF and 100uF disc capacitors. C41 (47nF, next to the edge-connector) and C43 (100nF, next to the coil) should be replaced with axial components to prevent undue risk of short circuits.
  • Capacitors C27 (1uF electrolytic) and C47 (electrolytic, value depends on which version of the circuit is being used, see my blog for details) should be replaced by a high temperature components rated to 105°C unless the 7805 is being replaced with a modern DC-DC converter module in which case 85°C types can be fitted.
  • This modification is required for effecient operation of certain machine code software and should be implemented on all units. It has been implemented in manufacture for all ULAs 5C112-2 and later.
    • D14 replaced by C67 (100pF)
    • R24 changed from 3k3 to 1k
    • R73 (1k) added between IC1/32 and +5V (may be fitted in one of two positions, see photos).
    All these are to the right of IC14, except R73. On a lot of boards they may have already have been changed or the board was manufactured with the revised values.

• A significant cause of problems has been found to be failure of the internal power supply transistor TR4. The circuit may be improved. See my blog for the last official revision.
Use the board component layout to help find the components, link.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
MrClump
Microbot

Post by MrClump »

iadvd wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:22 am About the electrolytic capacitors, I am going to buy from a well known online seller (in Japan), from the brand Vishay.

3 x 1uf 63v
1 x 4.7uf 63v
7 x 22uf 25v
2 x 100uf 25v
You could save yourself some work and postage and just buy a kit from either Retroleum or Retro Revival in the UK, both are excellent and use high quality caps.

https://www.retroleum.co.uk/zx-spectrum-capacitors
https://retrorevivalshop.co.uk/index.ph ... ducts_id=7
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

If some of the electrolytic capacitors have degraded, yes renewing them should help to improve the quality of the display.
How are you connecting to your TV / monitor?

I recommend the composite video modification that uses a electrolytic capacitor. Even with this, due to limitations in the design of the ZX Spectrum, there will still be colour bleeding.

If you see faint vertical ‘bars’ (“jail bars”), then replace capacitors C5, C6, C7 and C8 with 470nF or 1uF multilayer ceramic types.

All the voltages you took, they are okay, all within the specifications :D

For your memory problems, first type this line in:

PRINT PEEK 23732 + PEEK 23733 * 256

A machine that only has 16k bytes of working RAM should produce 32767. If a 48k machine produces this result, there is a fault with the ‘upper’/extension RAM.
A machine with 48k bytes of working RAM should produce 65535.
Any other result indicates there is a RAM fault.

Here is a quick and simple test program:

48K ZX Spectrum quick ‘n simple RAM test
1 CLEAR 24999
2 FOR a=25000 TO 65535 STEP 250
3 PRINT AT 0,0;a: POKE a,0: LET d=PEEK a: IF d<>0 THEN GO SUB 8
4 POKE a,255: LET d=PEEK a: IF d<>255 THEN GO SUB 8
5 NEXT a
6 PRINT “done”: STOP
8 PRINT “error at “;a;” “;d
9 RETURN

Type this in and run it.

For any of the addresses that are listed as having errors, then use:

RAM test, test one address only looking for a bit error
1 CLEAR 24999
2 PRINT “Enter address to test”
3 INPUT a : IF a<25000 THEN GOTO 3
4 PRINT “Address ”;a
5 FOR c=1 TO 4
6 READ t
7 POKE a,t: LET d=PEEK a
8 PRINT “Value written ”;t;“ value read ”;d
9 NEXT c
10 DATA 0,85,170,255

Alternatively you can use the cassette tape version of the ZX Spectrum diagnostic software. Here’s a link to the site. The tape version is here.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]MrClump[/mention] Thanks yes, indeed Retro Revival was my first option, but right now Retro Revival main page says "Non-UK customers: Apologies, but I am currently not shipping outside of the UK". I also checked their eBay site and same message... (you have probably guesses, my list of materials is exactly the Retro Revival refurbish set :D ) and anyway the costs of shipping to Japan are big in comparison to buying a local provider, so I already did my list with references of my local provider. Cheers!
MrClump wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 pm
iadvd wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:22 am About the electrolytic capacitors, I am going to buy from a well known online seller (in Japan), from the brand Vishay.

3 x 1uf 63v
1 x 4.7uf 63v
7 x 22uf 25v
2 x 100uf 25v
You could save yourself some work and postage and just buy a kit from either Retroleum or Retro Revival in the UK, both are excellent and use high quality caps.

https://www.retroleum.co.uk/zx-spectrum-capacitors
https://retrorevivalshop.co.uk/index.ph ... ducts_id=7
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]1024MAK[/mention] I am connecting to an Android tablet via a USB image capturer, my other Spectrums have a clear image using this device, so the problem really seems to be the quality of this specific machine.

And yes I have the "jail bars" always! indeed, the best clear whitish image I can get is the one that contains those jail bars. So I will definitely change the capacitors.

About the memory yesterday I run the cassette tape version of the ZX Spectrum diagnostic software and bingo,
Spectrum 16/48 ROM is PASS but the 48k test fails completely. And the message says:

"Check IC15" and "Check IC21"

so it seems that my attack of the problem will be:

1) change capacitors for recap, then recheck quality

2) if (1) still shows bad quality, probably I will change VR1 and VR2, the two variable resistors

3) Attack the memory problem: need to verify which memory chips are available and are compatible
with the pcb issue (best case, I can find exactly the same chip)

I will be back with the basic test results later! Cheers! :D
1024MAK wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:19 pm If some of the electrolytic capacitors have degraded, yes renewing them should help to improve the quality of the display.
How are you connecting to your TV / monitor?

I recommend the composite video modification that uses a electrolytic capacitor. Even with this, due to limitations in the design of the ZX Spectrum, there will still be colour bleeding.

If you see faint vertical ‘bars’ (“jail bars”), then replace capacitors C5, C6, C7 and C8 with 470nF or 1uF multilayer ceramic types.

All the voltages you took, they are okay, all within the specifications :D

For your memory problems, first type this line in:

PRINT PEEK 23732 + PEEK 23733 * 256

A machine that only has 16k bytes of working RAM should produce 32767. If a 48k machine produces this result, there is a fault with the ‘upper’/extension RAM.
A machine with 48k bytes of working RAM should produce 65535.
Any other result indicates there is a RAM fault.

Here is a quick and simple test program:

48K ZX Spectrum quick ‘n simple RAM test
1 CLEAR 24999
2 FOR a=25000 TO 65535 STEP 250
3 PRINT AT 0,0;a: POKE a,0: LET d=PEEK a: IF d<>0 THEN GO SUB 8
4 POKE a,255: LET d=PEEK a: IF d<>255 THEN GO SUB 8
5 NEXT a
6 PRINT “done”: STOP
8 PRINT “error at “;a;” “;d
9 RETURN

Type this in and run it.

For any of the addresses that are listed as having errors, then use:

RAM test, test one address only looking for a bit error
1 CLEAR 24999
2 PRINT “Enter address to test”
3 INPUT a : IF a<25000 THEN GOTO 3
4 PRINT “Address ”;a
5 FOR c=1 TO 4
6 READ t
7 POKE a,t: LET d=PEEK a
8 PRINT “Value written ”;t;“ value read ”;d
9 NEXT c
10 DATA 0,85,170,255

Alternatively you can use the cassette tape version of the ZX Spectrum diagnostic software. Here’s a link to the site. The tape version is here.

Mark
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

iadvd wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:26 am @1024MAK I am connecting to an Android tablet via a USB image capturer, my other Spectrums have a clear image using this device, so the problem really seems to be the quality of this specific machine.
If after replacing the various parts that have already been suggested, if you still have problems with the video output, you should maybe post up a photo showing these problems.
iadvd wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:26 am About the memory yesterday I run the cassette tape version of the ZX Spectrum diagnostic software and bingo,
Spectrum 16/48 ROM is PASS but the 48k test fails completely. And the message says:

"Check IC15" and "Check IC21"
Yep, those are two of the ‘upper’ / extension DRAM chips. 32k bit DRAM chips are very hard to find now (having become obsolete many, many years ago). So you will need some 64k bit DRAM chips. The generic part number is ‘4164’. Can you tell us which type of chips are currently fitted in positions IC15 to IC22 please. Or post a photo of them. If you have a standard issue two board I suspect they will be Texas Instruments types with part numbers starting TMS4532.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]1024MAK[/mention] Hello, today I had time to take the pics! :)

First, the "jail bars" ... they appear when I set the vr's in the best possible white color position:

When I take the pics it seems that the image is acceptable but it is the camera, when you see the real image it is blurry and too colorful... this image below is the best stable setup I have been able to put:

Finally the memory chips, they are TMS4532-20NL4:

Today I have purchased the capacitors for the recap and the 9v>5v converter. So probably I will receive them in two or three days. Can't wait! Cheers!! :)
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

So, any TMS4164 chip rated at 200ns or quicker should be fine as a replacement. So TMS4164-12NL, TMS4164-15NL or TMS4164-20NL. Equivalent 64k bit DRAM chips should also be okay.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

I have the same issue on my 48K with that green picture which only goes away with very careful adjustment of the two trimmers. They're clearly knackered though since the values drift and they change radically with the slightest physical touch. I have purchased replacements and desoldering braid from Retroleum but I haven't plucked up the resolve to tackle it yet.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

With the issue one and issue two boards, there will be a slight drift as the temperature inside the machine increases. That’s unavoidable with the design of the circuit that’s in use.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]1024MAK[/mention] Hello! I have purchased the memories... TMS4164-15NL. They will be here in one month or so. Meanwhile I will change de dc converter/regulator and the capacitors along this week. I will be back with the results as soon as I finish. Cheers! :)
1024MAK wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:49 pm So, any TMS4164 chip rated at 200ns or quicker should be fine as a replacement. So TMS4164-12NL, TMS4164-15NL or TMS4164-20NL. Equivalent 64k bit DRAM chips should also be okay.

Mark
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]1024MAK[/mention] Hi! I am back with the results. It worked! I changed the two faulty chips ic15 and ic21 and the 48k memory is back!! The image is stable, memory ok...

But still the speaker does not work :(

This is the current picture:

I have already changed D9 and put a Vishay 1N4148 diode... It is my first time so maybe I put it in the wrong orientation??

Curiously D10 reads 0.51v but D9 after the change still gives 1.2v :shock: ...what could I do next?

If I am able to fix this, then it is 100% back. Cheers!
iadvd wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:59 am @1024MAK Hello! I have purchased the memories... TMS4164-15NL. They will be here in one month or so. Meanwhile I will change de dc converter/regulator and the capacitors along this week. I will be back with the results as soon as I finish. Cheers! :)
1024MAK wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:49 pm So, any TMS4164 chip rated at 200ns or quicker should be fine as a replacement. So TMS4164-12NL, TMS4164-15NL or TMS4164-20NL. Equivalent 64k bit DRAM chips should also be okay.

Mark
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

Nice one, another one back in action :D
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

iadvd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:53 am @1024MAK Hi! I am back with the results. It worked! I changed the two faulty chips ic15 and ic21 and the 48k memory is back!! The image is stable, memory ok...
That’s really good news :D
iadvd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:53 am But still the speaker does not work :(
But that’s not!
iadvd wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:53 am I have already changed D9 and put a Vishay 1N4148 diode... It is my first time so maybe I put it in the wrong orientation??

Curiously D10 reads 0.51v but D9 after the change still gives 1.2v :shock: ...what could I do next?
That’s odd :shock:

In your photo, it looks like you have diode D9 the correct way round.

Here is a diagram:

The black or white band on a diode indicates the cathode, which has the symbol ‘k’. The other end, the anode has the symbol ‘a’. When testing using a multimeter on the diode test range, when the red probe is connected to the anode (‘a’) and the black probe is connected to the cathode (‘k’), if the multimeter gives the result as a voltage, the result should be between 500mV (0.5V) and 700mV (0.7V).

Note that in this circuit, because of the loudspeaker and the ULA, the reverse voltage test voltage may give strange results.

It is also possible that D13 is faulty.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
iadvd
Dizzy

Post by iadvd »

[mention]1024MAK[/mention] Thank you, :) regarding D13, if faulty it should affect to the mic output... And I can hear clearly all sounds through the mic output with my headsets (keyboard clicks, loading sounds, music...)... so whatever is wrong it seems to be another component or the pcb circuitry itself for some reason (overheat when soldering capacitors???) ... isnt't it?

Maybe the speaker is dead... How could I check if the speaker is dead? Sorry for bothering you so much, I appreciate very much your help and I am learning a lot!!! It is funny :) Cheers!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

None of the electrolytic capacitors used on the board is directly involved with this circuit. And the resistors and ceramic capacitors in this circuit are normally reliable. And you confirm that you can get sound from the Mic socket.

Sometimes D13 can fail, it then clips (limits) the voltage. Hence there is enough voltage for the Mic and Ear sockets to work, but not enough voltage for the speaker to work.

The speaker can be tested on the 200 ohm resistance range, it should be between 180 Ω and 200 Ω. You may also hear it gently click or crackle as you do this.

To check the PCB tracks on the board, use the continuity range, or 200 ohm resistance range, and test as follows:
  • Test the top speaker terminal (nearest the 7805 voltage regulator) to any 0V/GND point (the metal tab of the 7805 or the large 0V/GND track where the heatsink fits under the 7805 is easiest).
  • Test between the right hand lead of diode D10 (k) and the bottom speaker terminal (nearest the edge of the board).
  • Test between the left hand lead of D10 (a) and the right hand lead of D9 (k).
  • Test between the left hand lead of D9 (a) and the lead of D13 that is nearest the back of the board (D13 k).
  • Test between the lead of D13 that is nearest the back of the board (D13 k) and pin 28 of IC1, the ULA.
All the above tests should have good continuity, or a resistance of less than 2 ohms.

Also you may want to test each of the D9 leads on resistance to check that there is no short circuit to 0V/GND. Use the resistance range to test this.

Mark
“There are four lights!”