The Adventures of Bean

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

The Adventures of Bean

Post by R-Tape »

A nice little keys, crates and platforms AGD game. The Adventures of Bean.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: The Adventures of Bean

Post by R-Tape »

Has anyone managed to complete this? I've come across a few bugs where it keeps restarting unpredictably (though not the very first time you play it).

How do you get this key?

And what's the crack with the santas? One says hello, then nothing, and I don't know how to reach the other.

ImageImage

I'd persevere, but I'd like to know if there are solutions yet to be found or if the game is fatally bugged.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

There are a lot of (fatal) bugs, and some keys can be collected twice...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Andre Leao wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 pm There are a lot of (fatal) bugs, and some keys can be collected twice...
I've had a key not appear at all too! There are some areas that I can't figure out how to access. Does anyone know the author? Is this a completable game?
marbo
Drutt

Post by marbo »

hello!
sorry about the bugs, hopefully they’re fixed now
also i didn’t even know about this forum until like 5 minutes ago so it’s pretty wild to see a post about my crap game here lol
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

marbo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:07 am hello!
Hello!
sorry about the bugs, hopefully they’re fixed now
also i didn’t even know about this forum until like 5 minutes ago so it’s pretty wild to see a post about my crap game here lol
Not at all. I like these oldschool platformers and I like 'programmer's graphics'*. It plays pretty well, the screens are well designed, and the use of crates and trampolines are fairly fresh in AGD games.

So can I make sure:
-how many keys are there to collect?
-it's definitely possible to get the key I mention in my post above?
-when I see Santa, he just says 'Hello'. Is more meant to happen? Say if I have all the keys?
-are we supposed to reach the other Santa at the top of the other screen I posted?

Sending you a PM by the way.

*though I must say that Bean's walking animation is crap :mrgreen:
marbo
Drutt

Post by marbo »

there’s 5 keys, it’s 100% possible to get the key on the chandelier (u have to go around to the top where the ladder is) the wizard just says hello, i just put the other wizard there cuz i thought it was kinda cute
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

marbo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:07 am I didn’t even know about this forum until like 5 minutes ago
Welcome to the forums. Please let all your retro gaming friends know about us.

Just in case you were not aware, as well as the forum we have the main site where you can search for 1000s of games from the 1980s upto the present day (Thanks to the opensource ZXDB database created by [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] with contributions from many of our forum members). The majority of titles are available for download.

Just click on the 'Spectrum Computing' link at the top of the page.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

marbo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:56 pm there’s 5 keys, it’s 100% possible to get the key on the chandelier (u have to go around to the top where the ladder is) the wizard just says hello, i just put the other wizard there cuz i thought it was kinda cute
Aah! I didn't realise you could go up and down the yellow ladders, because the redefine keys doesn't offer the up/down choices. If you can face it, I'd recommend fixing that.

Either way I've just finished it with kempston. Good bit of fun that. Ta.
JasonUK
Drutt

Post by JasonUK »

Okay there were bugs initially and the game is like many other platformers (with a few added features as R-Tape has said) but I thought it was a pretty decent effort. Animation of Bean needs to complete though when moving sideways or character is left doing the splits, hovering above the ground which is a bit disconcerting :)

PlanetaSinclair just reviewed it, with bugs, as 3/10 but with most of those resolved I think that's a little harsh.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

JasonUK wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:18 am Okay there were bugs initially and the game is like many other platformers (with a few added features as R-Tape has said) but I thought it was a pretty decent effort. Animation of Bean needs to complete though when moving sideways or character is left doing the splits, hovering above the ground which is a bit disconcerting :)

PlanetaSinclair just reviewed it, with bugs, as 3/10 but with most of those resolved I think that's a little harsh.
Probably, but the review was scheduled almost a week ago and I just played a version with loads of bugs. Some not even reported here. I cannot afford to try several versions, unfortunately. When a game is released and if not mentions it is a beta version, I take it as final version.