void

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
omega
Drutt

void

Post by omega »

Hello folks,

let me introduce our demo for Speccy 128k called VOID. It is computer generated science fiction movie... no, just kidding :D
Bear with me, since I didn't do anything serious on the speccy for the last 10 years or so.

Get some popcorn - it's long.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ttZAVMNzA[/media]

Pouet:
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=87732

Release package with tap file, back story and other stuff:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... 2yrykMuDbr

It runs on 128, +2, +3, Pentagon and Next. It all fits into 128k at once (no multiload). Machine type is detected in the beginning to adjust timimgs.
And before anyone asks - no, it does not take any advantage of Next's HW, sorry.

_O_
Bubu
Manic Miner

Re: void

Post by Bubu »

Really powerful and nice!!! Congrats, [mention]omega[/mention] !!! I'm not a 128K user, so do you plan to make a port to 48K?
If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
jpnz
Manic Miner

Post by jpnz »

Wow! that's really impressive - have had it running on my toastrack for the authentic experience
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Great stuff! A demo with a story is a rare thing and I must say I like it more than just some balls aimlessly
running around the screen.

Are 3D parts precalculated in some way? If even so, then it's still really impressive.The objects are really big and fast.

It was a nice show.
omega
Drutt

Post by omega »

Bubu wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:14 pm I'm not a 128K user, so do you plan to make a port to 48K?
Huh, never thought about it. I can't imagine how it could fit into 48k to be honest. It would need complete rewrite of almost everything. 128k is used and abused to last byte. There are 32k of tables for calculations, 16k of scene data, 16k of objects and compressed resources, 11k of compressed music... Engine alone is ~10k and it utilizes second videopage as well... I would rather give you my +2 than re-doing this for 48k :D
Ralf wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:48 am Are 3D parts precalculated in some way? If even so, then it's still really impressive.The objects are really big and fast.
Hi Ralf, all is calculated in realtime. It is not slow (I can't really say that it's fast), because it is not polygon based engine. If you haven't read it yet, please check the fileid.diz in the zip file for more details about rotoid engine.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Fantastic (... ;) ) work. Really enjoyed watching it.
Thanks for creating and sharing it.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

One of the best demos I’ve seen for several years. I see that Spectrum Computings very own [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] was listed in the credits 👍
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

That was an entertaining watch..! :)

Graphics aside, I found the text glitching/blurring effects particularly impressive.

Reminds me - Tau Ceti & Academy are still on my 'to-play' list. Never got very far with them and wanted to give them a proper go at some point.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com