Arkanoid Back to Basic

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Arkanoid Back to Basic

Post by Andre Leao »

Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Re: Arkanoid Back to Basic

Post by Andre Leao »

Full map of this fantastic game...

Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

So impressive, can't believe it was written in Basic. Imagine if this had've been on Horizons!
cha05e90
Dizzy

Post by cha05e90 »

Plays really well - esp. on a ZX Spectrum Next with 7MHz! :-)
48K/+/+/+/+128K/Vega/Next&80/81&88
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

cha05e90 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:57 pm Plays really well - esp. on a ZX Spectrum Next with 7MHz! :-)
Will try that :)
+3code

Post by +3code »

Really smooth movement (I was waiting character-based), nice work. BASIC rulez
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

cha05e90 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:57 pm Plays really well - esp. on a ZX Spectrum Next with 7MHz! :-)
Very true.
I tried on ZX-UNO with 7MHz and literally hooked to the game. :)
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

+3code wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:53 pm Really smooth movement (I was waiting character-based), nice work. BASIC rulez
Am I missing something? It seems to be character based movement for me. And the ball always seems to be at 45 degrees despite [mention]Andre Leao[/mention]'s review mentioning varying angle. It's fast for BASIC, but I don't find it playable. The paddle moves so slowly.
+3code

Post by +3code »

patters wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:51 am
+3code wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:53 pm Really smooth movement (I was waiting character-based), nice work. BASIC rulez
Am I missing something? It seems to be character based movement for me.
?? must be my glasses then...
patters wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:51 am It's fast for BASIC, but I don't find it playable. The paddle moves so slowly.
Well, I find it quite playable, I'm becoming old, I supose :lol:
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

This is neat. There seems to be a bug though. I saw the ball pass through the top of the screen, and then it stopped with "B Integer out of range".

This was on level 6, and I had the laser, if that's relevant...
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

One other little point: in the "level start" music, I think one of the notes is the wrong note. Listen carefully ;)
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Aaaaand... the ball can bounce off a falling power-up!
That gave me a shock as I thought I was about to collect an extra life, I can tell you.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Am I missing something? It seems to be character based movement for me. And the ball always seems to be at 45 degrees despite @Andre Leao's review mentioning varying angle. It's fast for BASIC, but I don't find it playable. The paddle moves so slowly.
No, it has different degrees, depending the place the ball touches the paddle...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Message from Igna:

Hello!

I have released a new version 1.2 of my Basic 48kb game, with a bug fixed and speed improvement for Multiball and Laser PowerUps:
Please, update you database with this info.

Download it from https://ignacobo.itch.io/arkanoid-back-to-basic

Thank you very much!

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] are you OK to update our version?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:46 am @R-Tape are you OK to update our version?
Sorted. It's in the queue ready for the next update.
IgnaCoBo
Drutt

Post by IgnaCoBo »

Am I missing something? It seems to be character based movement for me. And the ball always seems to be at 45 degrees despite @Andre Leao's review mentioning varying angle. It's fast for BASIC, but I don't find it playable. The paddle moves so slowly.
Hello,

at the beginning the ball moves at 4px horizontal and vertical, so 45degree angle.
After a couple of minutes (or hitting a yellow and red brick) the ball accelerates vertically, so it moves 8px vertically and 4px horiz (30degree angle).
A couple of minutes more, (or hitting the edge of the paddle) the ball moves 4px vertically and 8px horiz (60degree).
And some more minutes after, the ball accelerates and moves 8px vertically AND horizontally(45degree).

A good comparison can be seen when picking the 3Ball Power Up, as the 3 balls move with different speed and angles each other.

The paddle and PowerUp move per caracter.

Hava a look at the new version 1.2 as it moves faster, specially the 3ball and Laser.

Thank you for playing my game!!!
tomorrow I will post some of the tricks I use to improve speed in Basic

https://ignacobo.itch.io/arkanoid-back-to-basic
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Thanks for the detail [mention]IgnaCoBo[/mention]. I didn't play it for long before, but did you now speed up the bat movement relative to the ball in this new version? It seems so. Before it seemed to me like if you weren't very precisely following where the ball would land laterally then it seemed like you had very little chance to catch up with it. That seems to me to have been improved. That's what I had meant when I wrote that the bat was so slow - I meant relative to the ball rather than in absolute terms. :)
IgnaCoBo
Drutt

Post by IgnaCoBo »

patters wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:54 pm Thanks for the detail @IgnaCoBo. I didn't play it for long before, but did you now speed up the bat movement relative to the ball in this new version? It seems so. Before it seemed to me like if you weren't very precisely following where the ball would land laterally then it seemed like you had very little chance to catch up with it. That seems to me to have been improved. That's what I had meant when I wrote that the bat was so slow - I meant relative to the ball rather than in absolute terms. :)
Mnnnnn, it was just your impression...

Actually, the bat moves faster, at 8px, and the ball moves horizontally 4px or 8px.

The new version improves overall speed, and drastically the 3ball PowerUp.

Thanks for playing it
IgnaCoBo
Drutt

Post by IgnaCoBo »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:18 pm Now it's dressed :D

Whaaatttt is that!!!!!!

It is AWESOME!!!!

Can I borrow it and add it to my game!!!!?
Credits to author, of course
IgnaCoBo
Drutt

Post by IgnaCoBo »

Cover screen added!

Thank you Rev_Stuart_Campbell

+3code

Post by +3code »

IgnaCoBo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:09 am

Waiting for an interesting reading.
IgnaCoBo
Drutt

Post by IgnaCoBo »

+3code wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:11 pm
IgnaCoBo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:09 am

Waiting for an interesting reading.
Tips for Speeding up your basic program:
1- Your main loop should start at the first line of your code
2- Try to make all the conditions in IF sentences to be like IF var or IF NOT var, meaning that var is not 0 or var equals 0, as this conditions are evaluated the fastest
3-Declare first the most used variables, and make them just 1 char long. Also, from var number 13 or 14, it is faster to access memory addresses using POKE and PEEK, instead of LET for byte variables. but this costs memory, and worsens the code readbility.
4-Use simple PRINT commands, including color code within the string . Ah! And end the sentence with a ; as it saves a Carriage Return! And that is some frames less...

Also, check this articles out:
you can read about efficient basic in these five articles (in spanish and english), they are a must! http://blog.jafma.net/2020/02/24/effici ... -spectrum/