Kardinal Kid

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Kardinal Kid

Post by Jbizzel »

I made a little game:

....its a numbers game with a high score challenge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EAa3-I ... sp=sharing
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Re: Kardinal Kid

Post by Jbizzel »

the idea is that you find yourself on a random number. That's how far you can move in any direction.
If you land on a space that means you can no longer move (a 0 or blank) then you die.
The idea is to clear as much of the screen as possible and get a nice high score.

rather than putting in levels I made it so you can configure how you want to play.

3-9 is the range of random numbers on the play board.

1-2 toggles the "0"s - if you want zeros on the playing board then turn this option on. It is off by default.

Experiment with different options and see what you like best.

I have been wanting to make a game like this for ages, simple and I hope addictive.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

working on a new mode where there are levels. Each level you have to collect a quota of hearts to progress to the next level. Each new level has more hearts. If you hit a heart you die, you have to jump over them to collect them.

cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Interesting and unique game. The level idea sounds like a good idea.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

cmal wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:43 pm Interesting and unique game. The level idea sounds like a good idea.

thanks for playing it. Me and Hayley have been playing it all day, which is very pleasing to me as I'm finding the game play addictive and it has that "just one more go" quality. At least for us anyway.

The heart/levels mode is working really well. It adds another dimension to the game play. I 'm working on the algorithm, so that game paly works and is fair, but the game is different every time.

I nearly called it Number Rouge, because is sort of a numbers based rouge-like :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Cool idea. God knows how many combinations there are, and there will presumably only be a handful that give the best possible score. I wonder how long it would take a speccy to calculate the Speccy to calculate that!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Yes, I did wonder about trying that, but thought better of it!

Here is v2 of the game - please test it out and let me know what you think.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ipkysa ... sp=sharing

There is a 9 level "hearts" mode, where you have to collect the hearts by jumping over them. You need 1 less heart that what is displayed to get to the next level. If you meet the quota, when you die you are taken to level 2.

Let me know if anyone gets a good score. I may make a score table within the game, I'll add people's names to it if they provide proof of a high score :)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

After looking again at some of [mention]Grongy[/mention] 's excellent art work, it was nagging at me so much that I wasn't satisfied with the loader for this. So I had another go. I wasn't happy with that either! I tried again, and again. So after 4 loader designs I finally made one I'm pleased with! So Ive updated the tap file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zUd0Dz ... sp=sharing

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

[media]https://youtu.be/04qiCwbaVR8[/media]

I feel like i jumped the gun a bit putting this in the new software area. I've done loads to the game since last I posted. Anyway here is a short WIP.

I've made a short levels based game, that's probably pretty easy, but then I often get told Iake things too hard.

I pleased with the graphics / screens I've developed. There are three in the game, one is shown here, so soiler alert!