Manu128k
Dizzy

Re: Spectrum memes

Post by Manu128k »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

(A reference to the pigeon disrupts play incident at the World Snooker Championship in case you didn't see it)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

NSFW, but... phwoar!
Spoiler
Spoiler
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Hehe @Daveysloan. I have actually tried to use that screen for the Woot Tape magazine in the past, but even the best dithering in the world doesn't make it work at 256 x 192!
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Something filmy and Commodory for a change....

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

So I did dare to POKE 59458,62. After all, it can't hurt on an emulator.

Does anyone more fluent in Commodore-ese know what this is supposed to do? What's that far up a PET's memory banks, anyway?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:28 pm So I did dare to POKE 59458,62. After all, it can't hurt on an emulator.

Does anyone more fluent in Commodore-ese know what this is supposed to do? What's that far up a PET's memory banks, anyway?

It's one of the rare POKEs that can damage physical hardware. You'll be fine on an emulator, albeit confused that nothing happens!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Some very thorough research into it:

ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

I didn't realise Wayne's World moved onto 8 bit micros. ;)
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:51 am Image
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:54 pm It's one of the rare POKEs that can damage physical hardware. You'll be fine on an emulator, albeit confused that nothing happens!
It was made very clear in the +2 manual that there's nothing that any of us can do to harm the +2 - and, presumably, any Spectrum before it - with a command from BASIC.

I heard an apocryphal story - probably in the late 1990s - about a troll who would not stop being a monumental Double Polariod on (insert late 1990s forum here, and it wasn't 4chan). When said troll finally said "HURR HURR WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT?", the admin, who was a nerd-beyond-nerd, discovered the troll's IP, and transmitted some code to that IP that made the troll's hard disc spin and stop and spin and stop rapidly until it caught fire. And while most of me says that must have been made up, part of me still thinks it might be possible...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I feel like 'the killer poke ' should be a cgc entry
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:14 pm I feel like 'the killer poke ' should be a cgc entry
There's already been something not a million miles off. In 2010 when @BloodBaz was the host, we had Speccy Russian Roulette. It still needs files, which I've just uploaded. On a 48K speccy, it picks a number up to 65536 (presumably intentionally not 65535 for that 1 in, well 65536 chance of an 'Integer out of range'!).

This^ is the code, and it jumps to whatever machine code is at whichever address in the Speccy's memory. Loaded from a fresh reset, the odds are not in your favour; there's a ~63% chance you will land where there is empty RAM (= it hangs), and if you are lucky enough to land in the remaining 37% where there is code, it's a complete lottery what it will do! (though generally it will hang or crash...)

Though yep - no hardware was hurt in the process.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:32 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:54 pm It's one of the rare POKEs that can damage physical hardware. You'll be fine on an emulator, albeit confused that nothing happens!
It was made very clear in the +2 manual that there's nothing that any of us can do to harm the +2 - and, presumably, any Spectrum before it - with a command from BASIC.
I'll go further and say I don't think there's anything in machine code that can harm a vanilla ZX Spectrum. And the idea of a computer virus hitting a ZX Spectrum, well, it's practically impossible to succeed. I think someone on comp.sys.sinclair explained that it'd need user intervention to spread and damage data.
TMD2003 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:32 pmI heard an apocryphal story - probably in the late 1990s - about a troll who would not stop being a monumental Double Polariod on (insert late 1990s forum here, and it wasn't 4chan). When said troll finally said "HURR HURR WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT?", the admin, who was a nerd-beyond-nerd, discovered the troll's IP, and transmitted some code to that IP that made the troll's hard disc spin and stop and spin and stop rapidly until it caught fire. And while most of me says that must have been made up, part of me still thinks it might be possible...
Yeah, I've heard that one and I think there's a possibility for that to happen, but it sounds so heroic that it can be filed under 'Things I want to be true but likely aren't'. These days you get these anti-scammer videos on YouTube that boast some astounding triumphs, which amuse me but I think a pinch of salt should be required.

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

I remember the Inves Spectrum had a popular legend about a "killer randomize", https://www.teknoplof.com/2016/02/25/la ... -spectrum/ (use Google Translator or something, it's in Spanish).

EDIT (original research, in English): https://web.archive.org/web/20140802175 ... s-spectrum