Friday Quiz: Name That Tune

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
clebin
Manic Miner

Re: Friday Quiz: Name That Tune

Post by clebin »

8. Action Biker

16 sounds like the driving music on Sneaky Sasquatch, which is a fabulous game but sadly not a Spectrum one...
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

clebin wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:57 pm 8. Action Biker

16 sounds like the driving music on Sneaky Sasquatch, which is a fabulous game but sadly not a Spectrum one...
Action Biker is correct! :)

16 does sound like driving music, doesn't it? (You can have that clue for free.) ;)
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

16- Turbo Out Run
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

+3code wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:20 pm 16- Turbo Out Run
Correct! :)

I'll do clues soon, when I'm home from work.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

2- Terminator 2
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Oof I've been hopeless again! I got Target Renegade without research or clues at least.
GreenCard wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:31 pm 17. Redwood Designs
Street Cred.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Both correct! :)
R-Tape wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:28 pm Oof I've been hopeless again! I got Target Renegade without research or clues at least.
I think I probably have made some of these a bit too tricky/obscure really. I find it difficult to gauge what will be too easy or too difficult sometimes, especially when doing these music/sound quizzes.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Nowt wrong with a difficult quiz GC. Personally when the 128 was getting more and more stuff added to it (late-86 onwards) I was initially buying (erm) lots of games for it but that more or less stopped mid-1988 when I got an ST. So the later titles I'm really unaware of the music.

I'm not doing much better with the early beeper stuff though so take that rubbish above as you will :lol: :lol: I honestly don't think I played as many Speccy games as I thought I did.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Vampyre wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:32 pm Nowt wrong with a difficult quiz GC. Personally when the 128 was getting more and more stuff added to it (late-86 onwards) I was initially buying (erm) lots of games for it but that more or less stopped mid-1988 when I got an ST. So the later titles I'm really unaware of the music.

I'm not doing much better with the early beeper stuff though so take that rubbish above as you will :lol: :lol: I honestly don't think I played as many Speccy games as I thought I did.
Cheers Vamp. I'll keep making them difficult then! :P :)

Funnily enough, I never had a 128K when I was a kid, so I only really heard AY stuff round mates' houses and then later when I finally bought myself a 128K (about ten years ago). I even tend to play 48K versions of games when I use emulators just because that's how I remember them growing up. Am I weird? :lol:
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

More clues for the last handful...

5. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lyhc3vhnohooi6/05.mp3?dl=0
9. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hocxbftiu5z1thq/09.mp3?dl=0
12. https://www.dropbox.com/s/79wjagjk85yqadl/12.mp3?dl=0
13. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcdc8q7dh7ztk3n/13.mp3?dl=0
14. https://www.dropbox.com/s/je9962f1tverccr/14.mp3?dl=0
18. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pxy5qqgnzfago5/18.mp3?dl=0

5. Operation Wolf-style shooter.
9. Budget title set in the Wild West.
12. Based on a UK game show.
13. Quite a fun run-and-gunner, was on a YS covertape (or SU, can't remember which).
14. One-on-one fighter, budget title.
18. Sequel to a popular platformer/puzzler. Really difficult.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

5- Predator 2?
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

+3code wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:55 pm5- Predator 2?
It is not, but it looks very similar. :)
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Not sure if I can post two (almost) consecutive post, but... Sharkeys Moll? If not, for the next.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

+3code wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:04 pm Not sure if I can post two (almost) consecutive post, but... Sharkeys Moll? If not, for the next.
You can post as much as you like now that the clues have been given, and you're correct too! :)
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

GreenCard wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:42 pm Cheers Vamp. I'll keep making them difficult then! :P :)

Funnily enough, I never had a 128K when I was a kid, so I only really heard AY stuff round mates' houses and then later when I finally bought myself a 128K (about ten years ago). I even tend to play 48K versions of games when I use emulators just because that's how I remember them growing up. Am I weird? :lol:
I dunno as I'm exactly the same.

I love the fact that there's these enhanced 128k games and I loved playing them back in the day. Even back then I had a thing for 128k games - look how I gush over Stormbringers music in this thread.

But... I've always felt a bit dirty with the 128. Like I'd spied on an older brother getting friendly with a girl and that innocence was lost.

So I stick to the 48k versions as well. Well, apart from Stormbringer. That music is soooo good.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

To my knowledge, I've never heard AY music :|
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Vampyre wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:48 pm I dunno as I'm exactly the same.

I love the fact that there's these enhanced 128k games and I loved playing them back in the day. Even back then I had a thing for 128k games - look how I gush over Stormbringers music in this thread.

But... I've always felt a bit dirty with the 128. Like I'd spied on an older brother getting friendly with a girl and that innocence was lost.

So I stick to the 48k versions as well. Well, apart from Stormbringer. That music is soooo good.
Yep, I always did enjoy playing them too. One of my best mates at school had a 128K, so I did get to play those versions a fair bit. I remember absolutely loving New Zealand Story and Robocop with all the music and sound effects and whatnot, but even despite the awesome Robocop 128K music I still just play the 48K version these days, because it's how I remember spending the majority of time playing it in my bedroom when I was a kid. Nostalgia's a funny old thing, isn't it? :)

Right then, midnight has been and gone, so it's time to wrap up the quiz. Let's take a look at those scores, shall we?

Juan F. Ramirez - 3 points
bluespikey/MatGubbins - 2 points
+3code - 1.5 points
clebin/Pobulous/Van_Dammesque - 1 point
Manu128k/R-Tape - 0.5 points

It's a close one this week! Congratulations to our winner, Juan F. Ramirez, but a jolly fine job all round in what turned out to be a very tricky quiz.Pats on backs and doffed caps to you all. Let's take a look at the ones you didn't get...

9. Gunfighter
12. The Krypton Factor
13. Deviants
14. Shanghai Karate
18. Impossible Mission II

It was a tough one indeed! So, that's it from me. As usual, I've been GreenCard, you've all been fantastic. Many thanks for playing. Hope you all have a cracking bank holiday weekend! :)
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

...feels left out from the final score table...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ta for the quiz GC.
GreenCard wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:27 am 9. Gunfighter
^This^ must be the most jolly little ditty in the world. It's hard not to listen without an inane grin and wide eyes.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Pity you wrapped it up and didn't leave it running for us late comers. I wouldn't have got any as it happens, but so frequently quizes are all done and dusted before I get a chance. Unless you're in early for the feeding frenzy you don't stand a chance. Good effort by all though, they were hard!
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Vampyre wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:04 am ...feels left out from the final score table...
Oh crap, sorry Vamp! Clearly had another of my brain farts while totting up the scores! :roll: :oops:

Ladies and gentlemen, please ignore the last scoreboard. Here is the actual scoreboard...

+3code - 1.5 points
clebin/Pobulous/Vampyre/Van_Dammesque - 1 point
R-Tape wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:12 am
^This^ must be the most jolly little ditty in the world. It's hard not to listen without an inane grin and wide eyes.
Yep, and in a game where pretty much all you do is hunt and kill people. :lol:
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Spud wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:43 am Pity you wrapped it up and didn't leave it running for us late comers. I wouldn't have got any as it happens, but so frequently quizes are all done and dusted before I get a chance. Unless you're in early for the feeding frenzy you don't stand a chance. Good effort by all though, they were hard!
Sorry, I did state that the quiz would end at midnight in the rules. I've got a busy day today, so I didn't really want to have to potentially leave everyone hanging until tomorrow.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

GreenCard wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:46 am Oh crap, sorry Vamp! Clearly had another of my brain farts while totting up the scores! :roll: :oops:

Ladies and gentlemen, please ignore the last scoreboard. Here is the actual scoreboard...

+3code - 1.5 points
clebin/Pobulous/Vampyre/Van_Dammesque - 1 point

Yep, and in a game where pretty much all you do is hunt and kill people. :lol:
Ha ha! No problem. Thanks again for the great quiz GC.
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

Thank you Greencard!