Wonderful Dizzy

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Wonderful Dizzy

Post by Andre Leao »

cmal
Manic Miner

Re: Wonderful Dizzy

Post by cmal »

Thank You Andre!! I just fired it up and it looks fantastic! The graphics are amazing and movement is super smooth! I'll have to get into this some more...
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

cmal wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:15 am Thank You Andre!! I just fired it up and it looks fantastic! The graphics are amazing and movement is super smooth! I'll have to get into this some more...
My weekend is just ruined... :lol: :lol:
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Phew. I can find only 98 coins instead of 99, I hope there isn't a bug ...
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Just found 90, so far...
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

There is no bug. There are really 99 coins.
The game is passable.
I still have 90
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

You are right. Just completed. :-)
Solaris104
Drutt

Post by Solaris104 »

Wonderful Dizzy is very nice game. Completed too :-).
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

This is incredible. It plays well, but oh my the graphics! Every screen is a treat.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Completed, despite that #@$%! poppy field which sucked almost all of my energy each time...
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:04 pm Completed, despite that #@$%! poppy field which sucked almost all of my energy each time...
Didn't you use clouds? ;)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

pavero wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:32 pm Didn't you use clouds? ;)
I found a way of walking on the clouds when exiting from the Emerald Castle, but when I approached it I only managed to jump from the well to the only cloud in the poppies field screen. Then from there I jumped as far to the right as I could, but it was too tall for old egg face, and he sat down for a few seconds while his energy went down.
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:49 pm I found a way of walking on the clouds when exiting from the Emerald Castle, but when I approached it I only managed to jump from the well to the only cloud in the poppies field screen. Then from there I jumped as far to the right as I could, but it was too tall for old egg face, and he sat down for a few seconds while his energy went down.
It's unbelievable that you managed to cross it this way, I tried and couldn't achieve it during playtesting :lol:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

moroz1999 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:55 pm It's unbelievable that you managed to cross it this way, I tried and couldn't achieve it during playtesting :lol:
Really? Then I did better than an official playtester :D

Before doing that, however, I ensured to fill the energy bar to the maximum.

It's been ages since I felt like going all the way through a Dizzy game. Congratulations to everyone involved.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

I was doing like Alessandro. Then I found the route to the left, on the clouds...
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I've only had a brief go (and died in the poppy fields!) but it seems pretty cool. The controls are a bit weird compared to the old Dizzy games (seems a bit geared around "up to jump" which is odd when using a keyboard) but nothing insurmountable. Not sure about the 3D nature of the map (walking in and out of the screen) as I suspect they may make keeping track of where you are a bit more difficult than holding the traditional 2D layout in your head but will have to see how it goes when I have some proper time to sit down and play it.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I had some play.
The graphics are great! So colourful, so many cdifferent oulor combinations that I would probably
never know to use myself right. Marvellous job [mention]moroz1999[/mention]

The engine works very well too. Everything moves very smoothly. A little nice touch are objects in
the front of hero.

Quite a lot of nice humour inside the game.

If I could complain about something it would be about the game design., it's a huge world which from
the very beginning is almost totally accesible to the player. So you wander around a big map,
often get confused with these "turns" pointed by animated arrows and simply may get lost where you are,
what are your goals and what you should do now.

The best game design in my opinion is to start in some smal area with a few locations,items and places
to use them. As you play, you step by step unlock doors and passages and your world becomes bigger
but you have time to learn it.

Anyway, it's a great game. It took several years of waiting for it but it was worth it :)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Oh, so the red herring is just that—a red herring! :D
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

I'm having issues running it on my +3. It consistently crashes at the credits screen.

Is anyone else using real hardware? In particular is anyone:
A) Loading from Spectranet
B) Using a +3 or black +2
B2) If using a black +2, what board revision?

Annoyingly I can't try loading from tape to rule out the Spectranet because my tape/sound socket broke a decade ago and I've not got around to replacing it yet... :oops:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I don't have the time right now to try it on my +2A and +3, but a quick test with SpecEmu and ROM V4.1, the same as my two +2As, shows that the game is running correctly. Will try the game as soon as possible (hopefully) on real hardware to confirm that.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Indeed, it runs fine in fuse, but crashes on my machine.
I'm wondering if it's the not-fully-understood RAM timing issue, though that usually only manifests on unmodified issue 1 Z70833 boards as I understand it.
Last edited by Guesser on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Did you try loading the game by "playing" the tape image file from an external source? PC, smartphone, multimedia reader etc.?
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

I can't easily test loading via audio at the moment until I get a new tape socket ordered as I say. I'm surprised if it is a Spectranet tap loading incompatibility though since again it works fine in an emulated version of the same setup.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Guesser wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:05 pmIs anyone else using real hardware?
Yes - I've just loaded sucessfully on my +2A (issue 1, Z70833) from the .tap file using a TZXDuino (I've modded the audio socket to accept input). I played for a few moments and it seems fine! I've not been able to load it via Spectranet (it got stuck on the initial "Program: DIZZY-8" loading message) but I will try again. Loads fine from DivMMC.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Confession: This is the furtherest I've ever played into a Dizzy game and I'm totally enjoying it. It's a great game. I've collected 42 coins and now I'm kind of stuck. I guess the next thing to do is to get rid of that dragon that's blocking the lever.
After this I'll have to go back and revisit some of the older Dizzy games.