New magazine Our Sinclair

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

New magazine Our Sinclair

Post by PeteProdge »

Okay, it's an idea coming from the Your Sinclair issue 95 mock-up I created back in January, and the surprising interest in Doodlebugs - especially those giving permission to me to put their art into a new Speccy magazine. The Doodlebugs thread is where the title of this new mag was conjured up (thanks [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention]!) and with a promise for the resulting PDF to be archived here alongside the classic mags (and a recent Crash parody).

As the Doodlebugs thread came out of my way of paying tribute to the late Ian Hewitt (who did a few Doodlebugs in the actual YS, including the final one) and he was very pleased about my YS mock-up, I think the first issue should first be actually printed and sold to retrogamers, with the cover price covering the cost of printing and the rest of it going to Cardiff Foodbank (a charity Ian's family raised money for, in his name)

This is my first draft mock-up of the cover...

Now, denizens of this forum will already know the main cover feature - the A-Z of the best Speccy homebrew games - but rather than simply being a list of the results, each of the 27 games could be summarised to introduce readers to their existence, and note a few decent second and third-placed games.

There's a lot to get sorted, and please treat the mock-up as a work in progress. Contents subject to change.

I've changed my mind on it being an A5 publication, as you can only get ~300 words on an A5 in 10pt (and that's leaving out any images, headlines, etc). A4 allows for 650 (again, that's not the desired target, as pages will need images and other things).

If I do a print run of 300 physical magazines at 32 pages, then the print costs are less than a quid per issue, which makes at least £2 for the nominated charity.

Shifting a batch of 300 could be a big ask, but if I get this all ready for Digitiser Live on 4th September in London, then I reckon I could sell quite a respectable number there before the show kicks off. (The pre-show gathering of 2019 was pretty epic for being, well, retrogamers drinking in a car park and also playing with old bits of kit in a nearby annexe - trust me, it is more fun than the way I've just described it.)

I know 32 pages isn't a lot, but for £3, it's pretty much all ZX Spectrum content (and a bit of daftness), no adverts. Which makes it better value than a certain monthly retrogaming magazine that rather too focused on 1990s and 2000s gaming for my liking. And I'm making no money out of this, quite the opposite.

Obviously, I'm still tweaking things. That cover is inspired by the typical cover you'd have in the twilight of the Future era, with a nod to the early Dennis issues. I don't want it be a facsimile of Your Sinclair as such, I've no plans to do Progam Pitstop, Tipshop, etc or anything like that under different names. It's primarily about the classic and homebrew games on the Speccy, with a load of YS-style humour thrown into it

Oh, I suppose I best get permission off RetroWorks to use that Sword Of Ianna artwork!

Anyway, I have enough resources to put out an issue every quarter if I'm to do it all on my own, and I think the physical sales should raise funds for a different charity each time. If there's a good way to sell a digital version online for when it's current, then that too should go to charity, and then back issues end up on SpectrumComputing for nowt.

Hope this makes sense. Feedback very welcome...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New magazine Our Sinclair

Post by R-Tape »

Looks good to me Prodge.

I probably won't be at that event, but I'd be happy to buy a digital copy for the same price.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

If that look at Zankle Soft will be a real feature and not just a mock-up, will you consider, I won't say a full interview, but at least a couple of questions asked at yours truly? :mrgreen:
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

I'd be happy to buy a copy of an A4 - a certain retro magazine went A5 and I didn't like that at all.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Alessandro wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:33 pm If that look at Zankle Soft will be a real feature and not just a mock-up, will you consider, I won't say a full interview, but at least a couple of questions asked at yours truly? :mrgreen:
I intend for nearly all of those features to be real and in the first issue! Although I've said it's going to focus on ZX Spectrum gaming culture with a big dose of humour (like YS, Zero, Amiga Power and Digitiser), I do think there should be a couple of serious articles in there, done totally straight, so yeah, I would like to be able to quote you! That'd be ace.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
hendrikbez
Drutt

Post by hendrikbez »

Good news
I would like to buy a digital copy
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

It's cool to see this happening and I wish you all the best. With your plans to get this done before the event in September there should be plenty of time to get everything sorted out.

No ads? You could use fake ones like I did ;)
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Can you use old Sinclair adverts?
Mock up an ad for the forum?
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Sounds like a great idea, [mention]PeteProdge[/mention]. I realise postage is complicated and expensive but if you’re able to work out the cost and post them I’d be willing to buy a couple of physical copies. One for me, one for a lapsed-Speccy pal (maybe a third for certain Commodore 64 loving mate of mine as well) so they can see what they’ve been missing!

I think Vinny over at Freeze64 ‘zine uses PayPal shopping cart to manage sales. Here’s issue one for example. Seems to work well so I thought it might be suitable? I believe PayPal take a cut of the sale though, so there might be better or more Charity-friendly options out there!

P.s. if my scrawls in the Doodlebugs thread a good enough feel free to use them in the mag!
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Always nice to see new things but Is this connected to the Our Sinclair podcast? otherwise it might be a bit confusing.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

XTM wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:37 pm It's cool to see this happening and I wish you all the best. With your plans to get this done before the event in September there should be plenty of time to get everything sorted out.
Yeah, I do writing in the day job and occasionally when freelancing. I find when it's something I'm knowledgeable on and I have a passion for it, the words just pour out of me. I think I'm up to doing this. I also do graphic design and in recent years worked mostly on print.

(Also, I once wrote several issues of a trade magazine on behalf of a very major consumer electronics brand. Didn't do the graphic design, but every word in it was from me!)
XTM wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:37 pmNo ads? You could use fake ones like I did ;)
Well... 32 pages isn't a great page count. YS and SU at their slimmest hit 36 pages, Crash was 68. I've budgeted for 32 colour pages, it works for me.

I'd only be interested in real ads from those prepared to pay, as 1) that may be able to pay to boost the page count and 2) I think the Doodlebugs would work better as comedy content. Viz had a problem in its early years at trying to be commercial, in that the spoofed ads and the genuine ads were pretty hard to distinguish!

BTW, I don't aim to go overboard on the comedy. It has to be a delicate mix, after all, the aim is to cover the Spectrum gaming scene as it stands and also invoke some memories of the classics and the ones that escaped under the radar.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

flatduckrecords wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:48 am Sounds like a great idea, @PeteProdge. I realise postage is complicated and expensive but if you’re able to work out the cost and post them I’d be willing to buy a couple of physical copies. One for me, one for a lapsed-Speccy pal (maybe a third for certain Commodore 64 loving mate of mine as well) so they can see what they’ve been missing!

I think Vinny over at Freeze64 ‘zine uses PayPal shopping cart to manage sales. Here’s issue one for example. Seems to work well so I thought it might be suitable? I believe PayPal take a cut of the sale though, so there might be better or more Charity-friendly options out there!
Oh, I've integrated PayPal before, it's dead easy to use and yeah, they do take a cut and I think they also apply a flat fee. It's been ages since I did it, but it's a quick and dirty way of getting things done. A couple of friends have used Etsy to sell a limited edition 'newspaper', so that could be another option for me.

I'll work out postage and all that (including international - well, everywhere outside the UK is international now, because of, um, that political decision *rolls eyes*.)
flatduckrecords wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:48 amP.s. if my scrawls in the Doodlebugs thread a good enough feel free to use them in the mag!
Cheers!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

highrise wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:17 am Always nice to see new things but Is this connected to the Our Sinclair podcast? otherwise it might be a bit confusing.
Aaargh! I did not know that was a thing until I saw your post.

And so I've forgotten the most important thing to do when establishing a new brand - "Google it to see if someone else has thought of it".

I'm not connected to that podcast, no, and the only retrogaming podcast I listen to is the occasional edition of Retro Asylum. Everything else is just based on running, pop culture and Alan Partridge.

I'll have to come up with a new name for the magazine, I guess.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:02 pm
highrise wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:17 am Always nice to see new things but Is this connected to the Our Sinclair podcast? otherwise it might be a bit confusing.
Aaargh! I did not know that was a thing until I saw your post.
IMHO it's a pretty good video podcast, though a little sporadic these days (I think it's only monthy at the moment). But for 2 Americans (i.e. not known for their interest in the Speccy), they give it the respect it deserves and they even enjoy some of the games.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

They took a break for some time but I think they regularly doing it once a month again now. Nice chaps.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:02 pm I'll have to come up with a new name for the magazine, I guess.
You're Sinclair?
Tommo
Dizzy

Post by Tommo »

Pure Sinclair? More Sinclair?
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Hmm ... DO you have to change the name? How about you contact them and tell them what you're planning to do, maybe they're cool with it?
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

I would say it's not a case of people being protective, and more a case of avoiding confusion, particularly for when people use search engines. You want something where people can just google and find it.

As someone suggested "More Sinclair" sounds pretty good.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I also like "More Sinclair".
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

How about "Sinclair Amuser". (Just throwing out at least one non-YS themed name :D )..
Mort
Microbot

Post by Mort »

What about Spectrum Computing ;-)

:D
Scanner extraordinaire, 1000`s of magazines and Software from the 8 and 16 bit era now up on internet archive in lovely 600dpi.
Donations are welcome of items to scan that are no longer needed ;)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

highrise wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:17 pm I would say it's not a case of people being protective, and more a case of avoiding confusion, particularly for when people use search engines. You want something where people can just google and find it.

As someone suggested "More Sinclair" sounds pretty good.
Exactly this. I don't think I'd be facing a major copyright lawsuit from the podcast guys if I went ahead with 'Our Sinclair', but at the same time, it'd be a crappy thing to do in the scene, I'd be creating confusion. I wouldn't like it if someone started a podcast, book or magazine called Reheated Pixels, for example.

'More Sinclair' is very good indeed! I think that's what I'll go with.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Just be mindful that mag titles tend to be abbreviated and it'll then become MS. Which you may or may not like.