Ireland on the ZX Spectrum

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Ireland on the ZX Spectrum

Post by PeteProdge »

Because I'm always on the pulse with what's happening, I best celebrate today, which is St Patrick's Day! (Er, Pete, you're three days too late - Ed) Guinnesses all round, right now! I've got my shamrock hat on and... what? Last week you say? Um...

Well, anyway, let's profile Ireland (by which I mean all of it - the whole island). As you'll see in this type-in from David Perry!

My first thought goes to Tir Na Nog (and its sequel, well, prequel, Dun Durach), which have a strong Irish feel, but was actually written in the west midlands of the UK. Tir Na Nog is Irish for 'Land Of Youth', which is where the first game is set. Both games are certainly strongly rooted in Celtic mythology.

Again I bring up the UK but this leads onto an actual Irish outlet - from the ashes of Britain's Martech rose Emerald Software, mostly populated by people from Waterford Regional Technical College and University College Dublin. This was a development house rather than a publisher. For the Speccy they came up with The Deep (US Gold), Fallen Angel (Screen 7 - a kind of reincarnation of Martech); Moonwalker (US Gold), The Running Man (Grandslam) and Vigilante (US Gold). Damian Scattergood worked there.

There's another development house from Ireland. This one's quite jaw dropping because of its backstory. St Bride's School came up with a lot of adventures, mostly for CRL. Not actually a proper school as such, it was... well... something that could be described as a bizarre Victorian all-female cult that despised television and other facets of modern life, yet somehow got into writing computer games, and later had some murky connections to far-right politics. Yes, that's quite a rabbit hole to go down and it sounds far-fetched, but I'm not making up any of it! Their debut game, The Secret Of St Bride's released in 1985, was quite an 'autobiographical' release, covering its location in County Donegal. Check out that copyright date!

Attempts to work out who St Bride's actually were have been drenched in enigma!

Don Priestley has been long cited as an Ireland-based programmer, but the truth is he's a Brit who did almost all his work in the UK. He did move to Ireland for a short while, and that's probably where he made Trap Door, Through The Trap Door and Flunky.

Over in the north, Derry-based Mystic Software published a couple of text adventures (Future Tense and The Red Lion) in 1987.

Well, that's a rather brief sojourn to Ireland, and I've only come up with three games actually based in the country (although one of those is debatable).

Over to you lot for ZX Spectrum games with an Irish connection...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Re: Ireland on the ZX Spectrum

Post by 8BitAG »

Diarmid - a text adventure based on the 16th century Irish mythological tale The Pursuit of Diarmuid and Gráinne.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/6 ... um/Diarmid

All the many Jonathan Scott/Stephen Boyd text adventures; they were both from Derry-Londonderry.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?label_id=7439
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

David Perry, famous author of many a brilliant Spectrum game (and went on to create Earthworm Jim) was from Northern Ireland
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

toot_toot wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:35 pm David Perry, famous author of many a brilliant Spectrum game (and went on to create Earthworm Jim) was from Northern Ireland
Thanks for this, never realised he went onto such big things!

One correction though - Earthworm Jim was actually created by Doug TenNapel, Dave Perry's Shiny Entertainment licensed the character for the video game franchise.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

toot_toot wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:35 pm David Perry, famous author of many a brilliant Spectrum game (and went on to create Earthworm Jim) was from Northern Ireland
Dave Perry is from the same town as me. He doesn't have quite the same accent any more! :lol:

And the Mulholland in Manic Mulholland is from Northern Ireland. ;)
animaal
Microbot

Post by animaal »

There's also Surf Champ.

I had always understood it to be developed by a team in Ireland, but the Info page here on Spectrum Computing doesn't seem to reflect this... The designer, Dr Norman McMillan, isn't even mentioned and New Concepts is noted as being UK rather than Irish.

Is the Info page mixing up another company with the same name - or is it me who's got the wrong end of the stick?
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:54 am Don Priestley has been long cited as an Ireland-based programmer, but the truth is he's a Brit who did almost all his work in the UK. He did move to Ireland for a short while
He never actually came back and got involved in archery and this is the farmhouse he used to live in.

This photo, from 2016, is the most recent I can find!

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

StooB wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:47 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:54 am Don Priestley has been long cited as an Ireland-based programmer, but the truth is he's a Brit who did almost all his work in the UK. He did move to Ireland for a short while
He never actually came back and got involved in archery and this is the farmhouse he used to live in.

This photo, from 2016, is the most recent I can find!

Ah, I happily stand corrected then!
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

There's Leprechaun's Gold, which was a type-in maze game from ZX Computing magazine way back in June 1983.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... hauns_Gold
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Then of course there's Emerald Software in Waterford that did a few later "nice graphics shame about the game" games.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?label_id=4362

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Ya ta tarr ta tei ti tai to, so it is there now.

@TMD2003, you don't need to put URL tags around YouTube links. Edited by PJ to fix link.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

There was Slaine, of course.And a text adventure I played on stream once, you had time travelled to mythic Ireland. When I remember the title I'll pop it in here.
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

Celtic Carnage.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/6 ... ic_Carnage

There's O'Brian. https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... rum/OBrian A bit tenuous... as were Agent Orange and the Munsters.

Snake Pit by Mike Singleton?
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Very tenuous but there's Jack Charlton's Match Fishing. He guided Ireland to the 1994 World Cup in the USA, which England failed to qualify for.

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

The 'MURICAN press wrote:Mr Charlton, would you not agree that all these players are English?
Jack Charlton wrote:Howay man. Look, David O'Platt, his great-grandma visited Dublin once. Paddy Gascoigne, he drinks Guinness. And there's... Peter O'Beardsley, the Queen...
Her Madge wrote:Top of the morning to yaw!
Jack Charlton wrote:...Prince Philip...
Phil the Greek wrote:Begorrah!
Jack Charlton wrote:...and a plate of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, y'kna.
The 'MURICAN press wrote:Dude, like, they're all English!
Jack Charlton wrote:We don't have to sit here and be insulted! Come on everyone, let's all go home, back to Ireland. Where is that anyway...
Of all the Spitting Image sketches I tried to find on ThemTube, this wasn't one of them. That's why I haven't quoted it absolutely verbatim. Bah!
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!