Sinclair PC200 Issue

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Burzum
Drutt

Sinclair PC200 Issue

Post by Burzum »

Hi I recently got a Pc200 in a joblot of stuff, never even know it existed until I collected the bundle.

Got it home and powered it up, display show Error: Faulty VDU RAM.

Just reaching out to see if others have had similar issues.

Reading over this https://www.seasip.info/AmstradXT/1512t ... tion2.html
It states that if getting the above error to restart the machine and try again, have done this numerous times same issue, even took the machine apart gave it a good clean made sure there was no bad solder points on any of the chips etc.

Not the best technically with these still learning the ropes as it were, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Burzum
Drutt

Re: Sinclair PC200 Issue

Post by Burzum »

Also when plugged in it emits a continuous beeping.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

The message suggests that the problem is in the RAM used by the (integrated) video card. Looking at the schematic, it seems that IC130 and IC133 are the VDU RAM, but I'm not really sure.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

I wish I'd known about it back in the day - I opted for an Amstrad PPC1640 which has very similar hardware plus a very bad LCD.

Hooking this up to a TV, even a tiny B/W unit would have given a far more usable image.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

I remember it and the 'review' in the magazines.

At the time I wanted one! It looked (to me) a bit like an Amiga 500 but in black.

I later learned (I've not checked this since) it was CGA so four colours. The ISA expansion slots were on the top, exposing the boards unless you got something cased.

It is an interesting curiosity however.

There was also another Sinclair badged PC too, a beige desktop case. I can't recall its specifics without checking, but iirc it was a basic clone of an Amstrad model, possibly a 286 or earlier.

Must admit the black PC200 really did 'look the part' (to me at least) , it would of been very good news perhaps if when Amstrad launched the +3 they popped it into this case or very similar, and either continued the grey +2 or had a remodelled black one.

Having said that there was the possibilty I suppose of putting the black +2 and +3 into the CPC Plus cases too, but that's off topic. They don't look like the CPC usual ones.

Would I like one ? Yes it if came up at a sane price and I had the spare pennies, but it is about the third or fourth machine down my "list" of haves.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Bit more helpful info here too perhaps:

Interestingly I did not realise it was the PC20 (Amstrad)

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threa ... air.42927/

https://www.zonadepruebas.com/viewtopic.php?t=6018
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I remember very well the review in Sinclair User in the October 1988 issue. They even reviewed some games for it later.
spider wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:30 pm There was also another Sinclair badged PC too, a beige desktop case. I can't recall its specifics without checking, but iirc it was a basic clone of an Amstrad model, possibly a 286 or earlier.
The last computers to bear the Sinclair name were two rebranded Amstrad IBM compatibles, the PC 500 and Amstrad/Sinclair APC386SX, originally known as the Amstrad PC 1512 SD and PC 3386 SX respectively. (See some photos of them in Spectrumpedia Vol. 1, p. 59).
deanysoft
Dizzy

Post by deanysoft »

I wish I could help but our PC200s are long gone (exactly where though, I can't remember!)

We had at least one and as people have said, the cards poked out the top - our PDS card did just that. I remember them being decent units, only one floppy drive on the right hand side. I might still have the branded DOS books that came with it buried somewhere.